Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will YOU die alone?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Re: Will YOU die alone?
January 04, 2009
So, no I do NOT want anyone who I care about any where near me when I die and if I have a say in it, then they won't be. It is VERY selfish to desire loved ones to watch you die, IMHO. Hence, I am not the least bit surprised that breeders are so gung ho about not "dying alone", with their grieving children helplessly watching on the sidelines.

Wow, that's an excellent point. Absolutely; if I could choose to just pass away unexpectedly in sleep, that would be the ideal way for minimal trauma to DH and family. Dying "alone" in that way is probably the easiest on those left behind, since they didn't have to witness the actual death moment, to be branded in their mind for all time, and they know you died peacefully and quietly.
January 05, 2009
Hmm.

There is, of course, one very attractive alternative to dying alone: Drunk, on the gallows, noose around the neck, shouting blasphemously at the Archbishop and obscenely at the King, in front of a baying crowd!

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
Anonymous User
January 05, 2009
Wow, there are some really good, thought provoking responses here. I agree with them all, dying is a very private thing. It is also not portrayed in it's real life facts - it's messy, people can sometimes say the strangest things right before they die, eyes open, hands and feet sometimes take strange positions.

For me, I think if I were dying of some sort of terminal illness and I was cohesive, I *might* want my husband there. But only him. I would hope my parents were already passed on as I would not want them to see me die. Unlike a few here, I am very close to them, particularly my mom, and if she outlived me it would tear her apart. Who really knows though until you are in that position. I think it's presumptuous to assume that everyone wants to have someone with them when they die. But, then again, what else should we expect from the most selfish living thing on earth, a payrunt?
Cheese Louise
January 05, 2009
Amethyst, that's damn funny. waving hellolarious
Cheese Louise
January 05, 2009
kidlesskim
They seem to envision a tidy room with newly cut wild flowers artfully arranged in a crystal vase, and displayed on a nearby antique oak table alongside a recent famblee vacation picture of happier days together. A picturesque window frames nature's wonders of willowy trees and lucious flower gardens filled with butterflies and bumble bees hovering just above the honeysuckle vines. Glowing rays of gentle sunshine cast a warm glow throughout the room as the soon to be deceased lay peacefully awake, alert, and in a state of painless serenity. They are freshly bathed, hair coiffed, and they are wearing silken lounging pajamas as they lay cozily tucked away under crisp white sheets and overstuffed comforters and pillows. Wafts of lightly scented and freshly laundered linens linger in the air as they look for one last time upon their gathered famblee, hold their childrens' hands, see the pure love in the eyes of their docile and respectful grand baybees, and gently pass on to Heaven. They die with a smile upon their pink lips, their now relaxed eyes closed, and with a hint of rose in their cheeks as they quietly release their last breath on this earth.

This is what I think that they believe, because otherwise WHY would they want their kyds to witness their deaths? I have trouble believing that anyone can be THIS selfish, but people are always surprising me.

Once again you have hit the nail on the head. After so recently witnessing my own mom's death, I can assure anyone that it is NOTHING like this fuzzy-around-the-edges scene that so many breeders probably have in their heads. Again, no one who has ever witnessed a loved one die of cancer (or any other horrible, slow disease...AIDS and ALS come to mind) can possibly think this is a good thing, unless of course they are thinking only of themselves.

I am convinced that my mom waited until my brother and I had left the hospice house before passing away. My dad was there, but knowing her that would be understandable. She was always fiercely protective of us kids to the point of being overly so, so it would fit her MO. We know how much she loved us, and I firmly believe that she did NOT want us to witness the finality of her final breath.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login