Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tips for Parents RE:Locked in Hot Car Syndrome

Posted by kidlesskim 
Anonymous User
Re: Tips for Parents RE:Locked in Hot Car Syndrome
September 08, 2010
kidlesskim

• Keep a large stuffed animal in the child's car seat when it’s not occupied. When the child is placed in the seat, put the stuffed animal in the front passenger seat. It's a visual reminder that anytime the stuffed animal is up front you know the child is in the back seat in a child safety seat.

Seriously? If you need a giant stuffed animal to remind you that your kid is in the car, you are a Grade-A RETARD!
September 08, 2010
This one "idea" really bugs me:

"Make arrangements with your child’s day care center or babysitter that you will always call if your child will not be there on a particular day as scheduled. This is common courtesy and sets a good example that everyone who is involved in the care of your child is informed of their whereabouts on a daily basis. Ask them to phone you if your child doesn't show up when expected. Many children’s lives could have been saved with a telephone call from a concerned child care provider."

I see a gigantic liability problem here. Will it be partly the day care's fault if THEY don't call to remind parents to check the backseat because the kid is missing? Golly, could these clueless morons take even less personal responsibility for their children?

What's next, will the daycare be making courtesy wakeup calls, too?
September 09, 2010
:hs The statistics for ANIMALS/PETS left to die in hot cars VS kyds is staggering!

http://www.animalpeoplenews.org/02/9/animaladvocateslead902.html

ANIMAL ADVOCATES LEAD IN PREVENTING HOT CAR DEATHS

ATLANTA>>The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported on July 3 that at least 78 children died in accidents associated with parked cars during 2000 and 2001, more than a third of whom died from heat trauma.

The CDCP data indicates that animal advocates are doing a much more effective job of communicating the risk of leaving pets alone in cars than child protection agencies are accomplishing in reaching parents.

The dangers to either animals or small children are the same: heat trauma is the most common cause of death or injury, followed by accidents when a child or animal accidentally puts the car in gear, accidents in which the child or animal escapes from the vehicle, and cases of kidnapping or pet theft.

However, the number of reported deaths of children is more than twice the number of deaths of individual pets, even though there are more than six times as many owned pet dogs and cats in the U.S. as children under age five, and more than 2.5 times as many dogs, the pets most often taken in vehicles. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

confused smiley So, how is it that people can remember their PETS, but not their children?

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
September 09, 2010
Something tells me a lot of parents hate their kids and see them as a monumental burden.

lab mom
This is a CRITICAL issue that is largely misunderstood by the general public. NOBODY thinks this could happen to them. The public has decided that only "bad parents" could forget a child and therefore will not take precautions to prevent these tragedies from happening to their own children.
I feel compelled to comment because, like many others, I was also of the “how do you forget a baby in a car?” mindset No, that was for people who couldn’t be bothered with the rigors of raising a child. However, after reading the article in The Washington Post (Fatal Distraction), I had to reevaluate my snap judgment. The article explains, much more eloquently and accurately than I can, how the human mind works. Suffice to say, it’s a complex system of routines, responses to stress, and a myriad of other factors. When things go just wrong in that precious space in the memory where routine lies, the results can be tragic!! It’s not a black-and-white matter of simply being irresponsible or uncaring parents, this is not a failure of love. After reading the article, the science behind how this could happen to even the most doting, loving parents, I feel I can no longer just throw my hands up and exclaim “Well, I would never do that!” Though the circumstances make it easy to claim the moral high ground (“MY baby was never left in the car”), I would encourage everyone to scrounge up a little humility and realize that there are faults within us, biologically, emotionally, and psychologically, that no one is completely immune to. Take alook at that Washington Post piece (2010 pulitzer prize winning article), it provides an informative and heartbreaking perspective on a tragedy that everyone assumes they are above, until it happens.
As society puts so much pressure on parents to do this, do that, do everything, I think we MUST require a regulation on the auto industry to protect children. Seat belt reminders would save thousands of lives, no questions asked. Reminders that a child was left in the vehicle would also, undoubtedly save lives. Nearly 600 children have died from vehicular hyperthermia since 1998. If only we had acted sooner, spoke up, done SOMETHING, perhaps those little ones would be with us today. Please take the time to examine this issue with an open mind.
Who takes the time to hide behind a screen name and bash advocacy groups working day in and day out to save the lives of innocent children? If everyone who does this could redirect their efforts spent on condemning parents toward prevention and solutions to the problem, just imagine what could be done. By the way, that group KidsAndCars.org that you all are referring to has worked on quite a few other issues and been very successful in preventing tragedies involving children and vehicles. Ever seen a that glow in the dark trunk release in your trunk?? You can thank them for that. The lady who started it was kidnapped with her husband in 1995 and they were locked in their own trunk and left to die. They were blessed to have escaped and both survived. This woman has devoted her life to helping others and protecting children. So please, do your homework before you go bad mouthing things you know nothing about!!!!!!!

September 10, 2010
BOOonALLofYOU

......So please, do your homework before you go bad mouthing things you know nothing about!!!!!!!

Blah blah BLAH. Look at that wall of textarrhea. You have been reported. BUH-BYE. :flaming
September 10, 2010
To troll:

I think it's fucking retarded that we need "adovacy groups" because parunts don't have enough common sense NOT to leave their child in the car. Honestly, if you need to have LAWS, and TV ADS, and GROUPS to remind you not to leave a living being in a car when it's 100 degrees out, then you're a retard and who knows what else you're doing.

What's next? A TV ad out reminding me that antifreeze is not to be used as a delicious dessert? Not to stand under a ladder? That maybe, just maybe, drinking 5 cocktails in one night while you're pregnant isn't a good thing? Give me a break.

Face it: you're making excuses for the fucked up, retard parunts who can't take care of their kids and are too stupid to even be having them in the first place. Don't you fucking dare tell me it's because of STREESSSS and that somehow, that explains or justifies why parunts go out and bake their brats in the car while they are clothes shopping.

Go justify manslaughter elsewhere. You sound like someone who has killed their own kid and is now trying to say it was "ok" because i was STRESSED and omg being a mom is so hard.

FUCK YOU.
September 10, 2010
Troll
This is a CRITICAL issue that is largely misunderstood by the general public. NOBODY thinks this could happen to them. The public has decided that only "bad parents" could forget a child and therefore will not take precautions to prevent these tragedies from happening to their own children. ......

Hi Answer Lady! Let's require carmakers to have a CHILD WARNING SYSTEM installed that goes off if it detects weight on the seat! It'll only add $3000 to the cost of a new car. Would that make you happy?

On second thought, can I shit in your mouth?
September 10, 2010
Yet another troll whining. I'd like to invite the troll to CPR on one of these kids - just one. Just once try and start an IV in a kid with a collapsed circulatory system from hyperthermia. Just once place a breathing tube down their dry throat. Look into the eyes of a kid that is dead and see the last expression of fear, pain and betrayal locked on their face forever. Do that troll then come back with your drivel. There is NEVER an excuse for this. Never, period. It's not end of discussion it is end of life. The parents are always responsible for the life they chose to bring into this world. They must always place that life first. They must always make sure the child is accounted for first. That is before the cell phone, the laptop, the I pod, the groceries. There is no don't think it can't happen to you.
September 10, 2010
Eighty-seven (87%) of children who have died due to vehicular heat stroke are ages 3 and younger:

5 thru 14-years old 7%

The fact that there are FOURTEEN YEAR OLDS included in the survey who can't open a car door to save their own lives (but are old enough to get a permit to drive the fucking thing apparently) means we're getting into Darwin Awards territory.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
September 10, 2010
Amethyst
Eighty-seven (87%) of children who have died due to vehicular heat stroke are ages 3 and younger:

5 thru 14-years old 7%

The fact that there are FOURTEEN YEAR OLDS included in the survey who can't open a car door to save their own lives (but are old enough to get a permit to drive the fucking thing apparently) means we're getting into Darwin Awards territory.

Yup!! And if you extrapolate that out to include even younger ages which theoretically/realistically could be expected to know how to get themselves out of a locked car at extreme heat (conservatively, 8-yr-olds?) to perhaps 10 percent or more? I'm no statistician, but it sure seems to me that a reasonable assessment would be: WE ARE DOOMED.

doh face :crz
September 11, 2010
As Kim so clearly pointed out, these are not accidents. Rather than wasting money on a campaign to inform people of a bloody obvious danger (and its repercussions, mandatory safety devices which annoy almost everyone), it should be recognized that many people regret having children. I suggest a two-pronged approach to this problem. First, society should develop a way of dealing with unwanted children so that people will be less likely to be driven to murder. It should be possible for children to be dropped off at any age, but parents who abdicate their responsibility in this manner should be prevented from having any more children. The second approach should focus on education, to reduce the chance that someone will have a child and discover that it is unpleasant. There should be advertisements explaining what parenthood is really like, and schools should be forced to teach it. With any luck this will create a bit of a shift in society, so that movies won't uniformly portray parenthood as a walk in the park, and motherhood won't be glorified. I'm not saying that they should focus on the worst-case scenario, but something like "X% of children have this disorder. This is what a child with this disorder is like:" or "Normal children will do the following: have temper tantrums, whine, become surly teens, etc."

Of course parenting licenses would be a better solution, but I'm trying to stick with options which are as likely as pigs flying, as opposed to ones which are as likely as pigs learning how to genetically engineer themselves to grow wings.
September 11, 2010
Did you guys all hit the "Report" thingie on the troll's post?
September 11, 2010
The message was gone before I got a chance to see it, let alone report. I don't mind, though. If I want trolling, I can always go outside and say something to the little brats who are always making lots of noise.
September 12, 2010
Nope, don't need more awareness, need more prosecution. I bet if parents knew they get their asses locked up in jail for "forgetting" the kid, they'd find a way to remember the kid.
September 12, 2010
nokids4me
Nope, don't need more awareness, need more prosecution. I bet if parents knew they get their asses locked up in jail for "forgetting" the kid, they'd find a way to remember the kid.

I can't find anything anywhere that suggests that ANY of these people were charged, let alone prosecuted. All they get is sympathy and the community attitude of, "They have suffered enough". The same thing occurred with "crib death" until the murderers were outed for their crimes. Now, there are a LOT fewer cases of "death by crib". They also used to get away with the "missing turned up dead", or in some cases never found kyds. The sympathy wagon for those types NEVER left the trail, until many of those got outed too. Now, parents are the NUMBER ONE suspect when kyds turn up "missing". I just wonder how many more kyds are gonna have to die before these people get PROSECUTED. I believe that in nearly every single circumstance of "Locked in Hot Car Syndrome" that the parent needs to be charged with MANDATORY child negligence. Even if the evidence doesn't hold up for an actual prosecution, the CHARGE will remain on their permanent record to be reviewed for any future "accidental deaths".

There are NUMEROUS documented cases of multiple "SIDS" deaths that went unnoticed for YEARS because they were not charged because everyone felt sorry for them. Since there's always public doubt in these cases, they simply moved from place to place and KILLED again. One woman was finally caught up with, tried and convicted for "Death by Crib" for eight kyds!!!!!!! Then there was that "father" who killed at least one prior baybee by "SIDS" before going on to have another kyd die in the same manner! His motivation was Gerber life insurance policies, I think. They just conveniently leave out prior "accidents" when being investigated for current ones. MANDATORY charges, or at the very least a permanent criminal investigative document needs to be attached to their files. At least the NEXT time it happens law enforcement can take a longer and more intensive look into the "accident".

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
September 12, 2010
None of these cows have ever been charged. Unless they were a sitter or a care provider, then they were fucked. The parents "have suffered enough." Bullshit. The kid is the only one who truly suffered.

Start prosecuting them for abuse or negligent homicide and I bet they will remember they have kids.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
September 12, 2010
I have some good 'tips' that I think could be put in Lil Sizzler awareness campaigns:

"Ladies - use your natural multi tasking abilities and let the slapping of your mighty meat flaps be like wind chimes to remind you of the baby".

"Men - when you're 'rearranging' your shrunken grapes - let that remind you to check the yard apes!"
September 12, 2010
Zzelda
I have some good 'tips' that I think could be put in Lil Sizzler awareness campaigns:

"Ladies - use your natural multi tasking abilities and let the slapping of your mighty meat flaps be like wind chimes to remind you of the baby".

"Men - when you're 'rearranging' your shrunken grapes - let that remind you to check the yard apes!"

waving hellolarious We're on a roll tonight!!!!!! Seriously, HOW can they forget baybee when they can't even WALK without reminders whether it's Golashes-Gina or one of the other ones who seems to need a jock strap to contain her butchered and hanging"meat""?

September 13, 2010
There's some breeder out there reading our tips and going "Goddammit! I'm planning to accidentally leave Junior in the remote lot at McCarran, quit trying to make it harder for me."
This is the saddest thread I've ever seen. I am not a parent who has lost a child, but I know many of them. The point here really isn't to play the blame game, the point is to work to prevent these horrifying tragedies in ANY way possible. Keep ranting and raving...i'm sure it will get a lot accomplished. For those complaining that they didnt' get to read my post, it is below...they removed it as soon as it went up.

This is a CRITICAL issue that is largely misunderstood by the general public. NOBODY thinks this could happen to them. The public has decided that only "bad parents" could forget a child and therefore will not take precautions to prevent these tragedies from happening to their own children.
I feel compelled to comment because, like many others, I was also of the “how do you forget a baby in a car?” mindset No, that was for people who couldn’t be bothered with the rigors of raising a child. However, after reading the article in The Washington Post (Fatal Distraction), I had to reevaluate my snap judgment. The article explains, much more eloquently and accurately than I can, how the human mind works. Suffice to say, it’s a complex system of routines, responses to stress, and a myriad of other factors. When things go just wrong in that precious space in the memory where routine lies, the results can be tragic!! It’s not a black-and-white matter of simply being irresponsible or uncaring parents, this is not a failure of love. After reading the article, the science behind how this could happen to even the most doting, loving parents, I feel I can no longer just throw my hands up and exclaim “Well, I would never do that!” Though the circumstances make it easy to claim the moral high ground (“MY baby was never left in the car”), I would encourage everyone to scrounge up a little humility and realize that there are faults within us, biologically, emotionally, and psychologically, that no one is completely immune to. Take alook at that Washington Post piece (2010 pulitzer prize winning article), it provides an informative and heartbreaking perspective on a tragedy that everyone assumes they are above, until it happens.
As society puts so much pressure on parents to do this, do that, do everything, I think we MUST require a regulation on the auto industry to protect children. Seat belt reminders would save thousands of lives, no questions asked. Reminders that a child was left in the vehicle would also, undoubtedly save lives. Nearly 600 children have died from vehicular hyperthermia since 1998. If only we had acted sooner, spoke up, done SOMETHING, perhaps those little ones would be with us today. Please take the time to examine this issue with an open mind.
Who takes the time to hide behind a screen name and bash advocacy groups working day in and day out to save the lives of innocent children? If everyone who does this could redirect their efforts spent on condemning parents toward prevention and solutions to the problem, just imagine what could be done. By the way, that group KidsAndCars.org that you all are referring to has worked on quite a few other issues and been very successful in preventing tragedies involving children and vehicles. Ever seen a that glow in the dark trunk release in your trunk?? You can thank them for that. The lady who started it was kidnapped with her husband in 1995 and they were locked in their own trunk and left to die. They were blessed to have escaped and both survived. This woman has devoted her life to helping others and protecting children. So please, do your homework before you go bad mouthing people on topics you know little to nothing about. Thank you.

Actually, many of these parents have been charged. There are a few currently serving their time in jail and many others who have served time and are now on probation and even more that are awaiting trial or are in the process.
Anonymous User
September 13, 2010
This happened last week in MyCity. Moo left 6 month old in the car for two hours while she visited a friend. According to the local news channel, she spent this time taking pictures of herself with her iPhone and posting them on facebook. Then, she ran errands even when total strangers thought something was seriously wrong.

Authorities say preliminary testing on a baby that died after being left in a hot car last week was consistent with exposure to heat.

One woman who says she saw the six month old before the baby was hospitalized says it was clear the baby was in distress.

Police say six month old Zariah Williams was left in a car for two hours last Thursday.

What's really troubling a lot of people is that 25-year-old Monique Andre brought her baby to run errands at Comcast afterward and not the hospital, especially when it was obvious that something was wrong with the child.

"It was one of those images that will never ever leave my brain." Said, Tallahassee resident Kari Jacobsen.

Jacobsen says when she walked into Comcast Cable Company last Thursday, she couldn't help but notice a woman with her baby.

Jacobsen said, "You could just see the baby was in severe distress even then. The baby was ashen, the eyes were already sunk in the back in the head. The baby couldn't hold its own head up."

Jacobsen didn't know that six-month-old Zariah Williams had just been closed up in a car in temperatures potentially reaching 134 degrees just before Jacobsen saw her.

Police say 25-year-old Monique Andre left her baby in the car while visiting a friend, and say that visit was more than two hours long.

The probable cause shows that after Andre realized she'd left Zariah in the car, she turned on the air conditioning, then drove on to Comcast.

Jacobsen recalls what Andre said. "She was like, if you don't stop acting like this, I'm going to have to take you to the hospital and they're going to have to watch you for a couple of days. But, she wouldn't get any help."

Jacobsen says she was so disturbed, that she called her husband.

Carl Jacobsen said, "It took us four and a half years to have our child. When you hear other parents that do stuff like that to their kids, abuse them in any way, it's sad."

It was Jacobsen's husband that told her that baby Zariah died five days later in the hospital.

"I literally sat there and balled in tears because I felt like I could've done something if I'd just called the police, or done anything."

Jacobsen says Andre did ask a teller for a bottle of water for the baby but says Zariah didn't drink it.

Jacobsen says she was at Comcast for 30 minutes and Andre was already there and still there when she left.

Authorities say an autopsy on the baby may take 60 to 90 days.
September 13, 2010
lyra_mojo
This happened last week in MyCity. Moo left 6 month old in the car for two hours while she visited a friend. According to the local news channel, she spent this time taking pictures of herself with her iPhone and posting them on facebook. Then, she ran errands even when total strangers thought something was seriously wrong.

Authorities say preliminary testing on a baby that died after being left in a hot car last week was consistent with exposure to heat.

One woman who says she saw the six month old before the baby was hospitalized says it was clear the baby was in distress.

Police say six month old Zariah Williams was left in a car for two hours last Thursday.

What's really troubling a lot of people is that 25-year-old Monique Andre brought her baby to run errands at Comcast afterward and not the hospital, especially when it was obvious that something was wrong with the child.

"It was one of those images that will never ever leave my brain." Said, Tallahassee resident Kari Jacobsen.

Jacobsen says when she walked into Comcast Cable Company last Thursday, she couldn't help but notice a woman with her baby.

Jacobsen said, "You could just see the baby was in severe distress even then. The baby was ashen, the eyes were already sunk in the back in the head. The baby couldn't hold its own head up."

Jacobsen didn't know that six-month-old Zariah Williams had just been closed up in a car in temperatures potentially reaching 134 degrees just before Jacobsen saw her.

Police say 25-year-old Monique Andre left her baby in the car while visiting a friend, and say that visit was more than two hours long.

The probable cause shows that after Andre realized she'd left Zariah in the car, she turned on the air conditioning, then drove on to Comcast.

Jacobsen recalls what Andre said. "She was like, if you don't stop acting like this, I'm going to have to take you to the hospital and they're going to have to watch you for a couple of days. But, she wouldn't get any help."

Jacobsen says she was so disturbed, that she called her husband.

Carl Jacobsen said, "It took us four and a half years to have our child. When you hear other parents that do stuff like that to their kids, abuse them in any way, it's sad."

It was Jacobsen's husband that told her that baby Zariah died five days later in the hospital.

"I literally sat there and balled in tears because I felt like I could've done something if I'd just called the police, or done anything."

Jacobsen says Andre did ask a teller for a bottle of water for the baby but says Zariah didn't drink it.

Jacobsen says she was at Comcast for 30 minutes and Andre was already there and still there when she left.

Authorities say an autopsy on the baby may take 60 to 90 days.

Please tell me moo was arrested for neglect.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is a home without children? Quiet. ~Henny Youngman

I don't want people who want to dance, I want people who have to dance. ~George Balanchine

"I took the batteries out of my biological clock and put them in my vibrator"
September 13, 2010
Troll
Actually, many of these parents have been charged. There are a few currently serving their time in jail and many others who have served time and are now on probation and even more that are awaiting trial or are in the process.

If like you said, Troll,
".......... The article explains, much more eloquently and accurately than I can, how the human mind works. Suffice to say, it’s a complex system of routines, responses to stress, and a myriad of other factors. When things go just wrong in that precious space in the memory where routine lies, the results can be tragic!! It’s not a black-and-white matter of simply being irresponsible or uncaring parents, this is not a failure of love......."

Then WHY would any of these "loving" parents be sitting in jail, have already served time in jail and be on probation, or awaiting trial then? confused smiley People don't spend time in the big house when their kids die from bonafide "accidents".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login