Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Entry 1473 - Pediatricians

Posted by Cambion 
Entry 1473 - Pediatricians
May 29, 2006
Woww...since when do children's doctors examine adults? This is a new one for me. I would be embarrassed to be twenty-one and be sitting in the kiddy-themed waiting room awaiting my turn. Dear lord, I was red-faced when my mom made me go see a pediatric doctor for my last physical. The woman wasn't even a doctor - she was a nurse practitioner. Not only was I embarrassed being the only 16-year-old there, but the idiot physician thought I had some kind of infection and prescribed me antibiotics for two weeks, only to find out whatever was present in my body is something common in teen girls and adult women...but not common in children. Moron.
Re: Entry 1473 - Pediatricians
May 29, 2006
I do know how you felt at the pediatrician's office at age 16, Cambion. I was sixteen or seventeen when my mom took me to the Kaiser in Martinez, California to the pediatrics department for my acne. I remember sitting in that kiddie-style waiting room. Even though I am 42, I still remember that day all too well. All I could feel was embarrassment that *I*, who I felt was almost an adult -- hey, I was to be 18 in a year or so -- still had to go the "children's doctor".

At age 21, I thought I was "it" for reaching another milestone regarding becoming an adult. I could not even imagine going to the sprog doc at that age. When I turned 18, I went with my then-boyfriend's mother to the ob-gyn to get birth control. My mom had to work that day so she was glad a friend went with me since it was my first gynecologist visit. It felt GREAT to be able to go to a grown-up's doctor! I also remember that day sitting there talking with the doctor about "adult" issues.

There are some physicians who call themselves "family practitioners". They have patients who are children and adults. But...they have had the schooling and experience to deal with both types of patients and their needs. Nite Light Peds is strictly a practice for kiddie patients.
May 29, 2006
If I'm getting my womanly check up, I'd would much rather go to a gyno doc.

lab mom
May 29, 2006
Yuck, that is so gross! They're old enough to drink, drive, shag, vote, everything - so what gives?!

I know I was already going to see a "real" doctor when I was about 11.

As for gynos: they are so hard to find that I haven't seen one since 1995. Last time I tried to get an apointment, it was in 11 months - I kid you not! They're so busy with breeder bitches that they don't have time for other women.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2006
Medusa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As for gynos: They're so busy with breeder bitches that
> they don't have time for other women.

That's so true! When I worked for a gyno, I hated having to call all the non-pregnant patients & cancel their appointments because the doc had to rush over to be present at the crapping out of another sprog.

I've spoken to many OB/Gyne nurses who all say that the doc shows up at the very last minute of the delivery, and as more of a supervisor than actually delivering the baybee. These nurses say they've delivered most of the babyees themselves and the doc just shows up to sign everything so he can bill and get paid!!!

sprogless
May 30, 2006
Gyno offices are nothing more than bingo parlors. It's all about the moos, and if you're there for anything else, it's like you're wasting their time. Maybe we'll be treated better now that we're all "pre- pregnant." I doubt it, though.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2006
I read on some other board, a long time ago, about how some OB/GYNS are dropping the OB part. Apparently, too many moos are suing in cases where the sprogs come out with any sort of problem (usually caused by the moo herself drinking or smoking or whatever). These doctors can no longer afford the malpractice insurance for this sort of thing. so they are just doing the GYN part.

There was actually a story (can't find a link now, it was a while ago) about some moo who was threatening to sue her former OB/GYN for not treating her during her latest repugnancy! Never heard what come of it, though..hopefully some judge threw it our of courst, where it belongs.

So if you can find a doc that just does GYN, you might have a more pleasant experience with fewer or no bingoes.
Anonymous User
May 30, 2006
Let's see. You are old enough to go into the military at 18 years old but you can still see a pedotrician? Pot that tittie out of your mouth! For Darwins sake,what next? About gynos: how true,how true. I see a nurse practioner.
The Centers for Disease Control considers people under the age of 24 to be "youth". Just thought you might like to know.
May 30, 2006
Ob/Gyns are always full of in pig womben. Not much of anything else.

lab mom

There are actually some doctors who practice "adolescent medicine," and treat only teenagers and young adults (under age 21). I've read about them. I think the idea behind it is that teens are too embarrassed to go to a pediatrician who also treats little kids and has nursery rhyme characters and cartoons in his or her office, but they're too young to go to a doctor who specializes in medical care for adults. I wish there had been adolescent doctors 20 years ago, when I was a teenager.

May 31, 2006
Oh my.

lab mom
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.