Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oh this is funny - Ina Garten refuses to meet with "make a wish" brat

Posted by Dogsmeow2 
Now here's a woman that is actually busy rather than "bizzy mawm" busy. Check out all the lowing in the comments.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/barefoot-contessa-ina-garten-too-busy-to-meet-with-terminally-ill-child/

Well here’s a bit of news that has shaken me to my very core: Ina Garten, cook book author and host of Food Network’s Barefoot Contessa, has steadfastly refused to meet with a child whose special request to the Make-a-Wish Foundation – the organization which grants wishes to terminally ill children – was to cook dinner with her.

The little boy, Enzo, initially requested to meet with Garten last year (or three years ago, according to at least one source), but was told that she was too busy with her book tour. He reiterated his request this year, having dutifully watched Garten’s cooking show throughout his battle with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, only to be met with a “definite no” from Garten’s people.

That said, the organization still describes Garten as a “good friend” to the Foundation. Garten’s reps reached out to TMZ, highlighting the celebrity chef’s other philanthropic efforts:

Despite her demanding schedule, [Ina] participates and helps as many organizations as she can throughout the year, helping children and adults like Enzo with life threatening and compromising illnesses.

Unfortunately, as much as she would like to, it’s absolutely impossible for her to grant every request she receives.

I choose to believe (since she’s my she-ro) that Garten’s denim shirts shield nothing less than a heart the size of the Hamptons. And, you know, at least she’s an equal-opportunity snubber: Jennifer Garner couldn’t even nab a spot cooking alongside the Barefoot Contessa, because she isn’t one of the star’s “real friends.” I can respect that.

Meanwhile, six-year-old Enzo has made a new wish: To swim with dolphins

While cooking with Sandra Lee.*

*JK
Interresting story. I sense a witch hunt in the making.
As much as we cheer her on, this could be bad PR for Ina. Maybe we're not getting the entire story.

I like her - she's CF, cooks well, and really carries her weight with grace. Having a nice face helps though.
Ah yes, the dreaded comments section.

Did it ever dawn on people that other people might just have shit to do? Suppose a series of events you've planned are dependent on each other in some way, with little to no deviation allowed in the time-frame. Now, you get a completely unrelated request to meet someone that will shatter the chain. Do you scrap everything you planned and try to piece it all together later, or just refuse the request and get your events done and out the way?

Or maybe you're just tired. You've flown from here to there, and from there to somewhere then to someplace, then return to there before you land back here. That's just what you need isn't it? Something ELSE to do as your body runs on an empty tank.

Sometimes, you're just gonna have to make another wish.
I know, this story is popping up on message boards everywhere. It's a firestorm.

What strikes me is: The kid was 3 when, supposedly, he first started making the request. How many kids that age are going to be mesmerized by a soft-spoken middle-aged woman? I mean, wouldn't someone more flamboyant like Guy Fieri (sp?) or those iron chef people be more likely to grab a toddler's attention than someone rolling out puff pastry? Something tells me it's the mawm who wants to meet with Ina and now that she's been refused she's taking revenge on her blog.

I wouldn't support Make a Wish anyway; ever since they sent that kid on a bear hunt in Alaska they've lost my interest. Nothing says "last wish" like going out to kill a beautiful wild creature.
Re: Oh this is funny - Ina Garten refuses to meet with "make a wish" brat
March 27, 2011
Melanie
I know, this story is popping up on message boards everywhere. It's a firestorm.

What strikes me is: The kid was 3 when, supposedly, he first started making the request. How many kids that age are going to be mesmerized by a soft-spoken middle-aged woman? I mean, wouldn't someone more flamboyant like Guy Fieri (sp?) or those iron chef people be more likely to grab a toddler's attention than someone rolling out puff pastry? Something tells me it's the mawm who wants to meet with Ina and now that she's been refused she's taking revenge on her blog.

I wouldn't support Make a Wish anyway; ever since they sent that kid on a bear hunt in Alaska they've lost my interest. Nothing says "last wish" like going out to kill a beautiful wild creature.

make a wish will let folks go bear hunting? sweet!

but i agree-i've seen barefoot contessa's show and "kid" is not something that jumps to mind. guy fieri or duff of "ace of cakes" is more the speed of a 3 year old. i'm guessing garten can smell what this really is-a moo fan disguising her fantasies as that of her child's.

american iron chef is boring-no flamboyant costumes, little theatrics and the most boring secret ingredients. what made the original iron chef fun was the use of food exotic to us (not necessarily to the japanese i am aware), but american iron chef will have shit like ground beef or maple syrup...wtf?? throw in something unusual, like bear meat or black garlic...
Melanie
The kid was 3 when, supposedly, he first started making the request. How many kids that age are going to be mesmerized by a soft-spoken middle-aged woman? I mean, wouldn't someone more flamboyant like Guy Fieri (sp?) or those iron chef people be more likely to grab a toddler's attention than someone rolling out puff pastry? Something tells me it's the mawm who wants to meet with Ina and now that she's been refused she's taking revenge on her blog.

Ding-ding-ding! I think we have a winner here. I'm glad Melanie's bullshit meter is working better than mine, because I hadn't even thought of that.

Plus, doesn't Make a Wish now involve brats with non-life-threatening "conditions"? I thought I'd heard of kids with hangnails (or something equally ridiculous) being granted wishes. :crz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
Check out the mawm's blog; she rivals gluten gal for self-centeredness and drama:

Angels for Enzo

My sympathies are with Ina, whom I don't even like.
At least the lady is being truthful and she has far more pressuring things to do that hurry out and meet some poor, sickly kid who would expire soon anyway.

And BTW, since what kid is interested in cooking shows to begin with?!
March 27, 2011
What a load of BS.

I agree that this sounds like Moomy's doing. First thing I thought, in fact. What small child idolizes an obscure cooking show host and wants to cook with her?

Not believable.
March 27, 2011
Get a load of this bullshit:

I would be lying if I said that I don’t find this to be shocking. To know that out of EVERY THING (material Enzo could choose to have), or ANY PLACE (in the world Enzo could travel to) and out of EVERY PERSON on this earth he chose Ina, and she cannot see what an honor that is. And he wanted to actually be with her for NO reason other then to have her company and cook with her. I actually feel badly for her because Enzo has NOTHING but pure love and intensions and she will never get to have that experience with him and she is missing out on something so authentic and beautiful.

Does this mother really think that a celebrity chef should be HONORED for meeting a no-name kid and his equally anonymous mother? Gimme a break! Feeling entitled much?? And going to the media and screaming WAAAAAAAAAA big bad chef won't meet my kid!! doesn't win people like me over. It just shows me a spoiled, entitlemoo who thinks she should have everything she wants just because she has a kid.

I don't blame Ina for not wanting to waste time on this.
March 27, 2011
Peace

I would be lying if I said that I don’t find this to be shocking. To know that out of EVERY THING (material Enzo could choose to have), or ANY PLACE (in the world Enzo could travel to) and out of EVERY PERSON on this earth he chose Ina, and she cannot see what an honor that is. And he wanted to actually be with her for NO reason other then to have her company and cook with her. I actually feel badly for her because Enzo has NOTHING but pure love and intensions and she will never get to have that experience with him and she is missing out on something so authentic and beautiful.

Does this mother really think that a celebrity chef should be HONORED for meeting a no-name kid and his equally anonymous mother? Gimme a break! Feeling entitled much?? And going to the media and screaming WAAAAAAAAAA big bad chef won't meet my kid!! doesn't win people like me over. It just shows me a spoiled, entitlemoo who thinks she should have everything she wants just because she has a kid.

it is very entitled. like ina garten has nothing better to do than drop everything and rush to go cook for this kid. more attitude that child free people's time is not important as that of a parent's or a child's.
March 27, 2011
So since her kid doesn't get his wish, instead of being graceful about it, she is getting nasty and seeking revenge on Ina. Why doesn't she use this as one of those "teachable moments" that moos are so fond of, to show little Enzo that he can't always get what he wants, and has to have other options in life? Instead, she is hell-bent on exacting revenge on a perfect stranger.
March 27, 2011
gymrat
So since her kid doesn't get his wish, instead of being graceful about it, she is getting nasty and seeking revenge on Ina. Why doesn't she use this as one of those "teachable moments" that moos are so fond of, to show little Enzo that he can't always get what he wants, and has to have other options in life? Instead, she is hell-bent on exacting revenge on a perfect stranger.

they are only teachable moments if it inconveniences, imposes or intrudes upon everybody else. any real life lessons are exempt from the teachable moment.
March 27, 2011
zatoth
Peace

it is very entitled. like ina garten has nothing better to do than drop everything and rush to go cook for this kid. more attitude that child free people's time is not important as that of a parent's or a child's.

Do we know that Ina is child free? I didn't see anything anywhere about that. I figure that this chef, this PROFESSIONAL, thinks that time is money, her time is valuable. She doesn't work for free (I certainly don't work for free) and doesn't want to do this free gig because she has more important things to do.
March 27, 2011
Melanie

I didn't know that sad smiley

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
March 27, 2011
Banshee
and BTW, since what kid is interested in cooking shows to begin with?!

I'm sure it was the moo's idea.

Found this quote from Ina Garten's book (from 3 years ago) as to her being CF:

"...we all know that families now aren't necessarily like Ozzie and Harriet (it turns out Ozzie and Harriet's family wasn't all Ozzie and Harriet)... family has a traditional context, but today it's not as simple as two parents with 2.3 kids... it's about relationships... it's about people who are bound together by love and a sense of being responsible for one another... [it's spouses with no children, like Jeffrey and me]... it's a group of women who meet to cook dinner together once a month... it's a one-parent family with adopted children... it's two men who've made a life together... at the end of the day, all we have is love... getting love, but even more, feeling love"

You have to give her props for guts - she has to have known that she would get flak for this decision. After all, it's almost unheard of for people not to grant Make-a-wish requests. I agree that it was most likely the Mom's 'wish' than the kid's. The kid probably wanted to meet Charlie Sheen or something :bdid
M4P
Melanie

Yeah, you can Google; it was pretty notorious at the time, the Humane Society protested to no avail. They will never get a dime of mine.

Btw the kid's disease (In Garten kid, not bear-killer kid) has a near 90-percent cure rate.
March 27, 2011
Thank you for the CF research on Ina ! grinning smiley
Melanie
Btw the kid's disease (In Garten kid, not bear-killer kid) has a near 90-percent cure rate.

I wondered if the kid had the highly curable form but was too lazy to go look it up. Moo's blog states that the kid has acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Why not just say leukemia? The full name sounds worse and more dramatic to the average person, that's why. I'm sure it's extremely difficult and stressful, but parents like this moo use their kid's illness for attention and their own gain.

We need an emoticon for drama queen. cutting a smiley with a chainsawfuck

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
March 27, 2011
Melanie

What?!!! You mean the kid isn't even dying?!! spanking with a whip on the ass

March 27, 2011
Melanie
M4P
Melanie

Yeah, you can Google; it was pretty notorious at the time, the Humane Society protested to no avail. They will never get a dime of mine.

I'll never contribute to them (not like I ever did, but still). I'm sick of these "children's" foundations. Most of them are crooked as hell.

That would be like someone asking Rachael Ray to fulfill their "request." RR is extremely busy; she has no kids, but she has three shows, writes cookbooks, and does a lot of charity work for animals, not to mention the various other commitments she has, all while trying to maintain her marriage to her hubby, who is also quite busy. These celebrities are BUSY. Not all of them have time to run to people's houses to fulfill "Make A Wish" kids' dreams. The moo needs to GET OVER IT AND GROW THE FUCK UP. And as others suspect, I'd bet it's moomie who wants to meet Ina, not her kid; she's just USING her own kid as an excuse to meet a celeb so she can brag to her other moomie friends how she had a "Rich and Famous Person At My House, neah!" I would think that a child of Enzo's age would not be as intrigued by a celeb chef like Ina; she doesn't make cheezeburgers, hot dogs, or other "kid-type" foods. I could see a six-year old thinking that he'd like to meet one of the chefs who are more upbeat and spunky. I'm not a fan of Ina - I find her to be a major snob, but at the same time, I don't think she should feel obligated to interrupt her schedule to cook with a kid who's really not the one wanting to meet her. I think she has her suspicions about moomie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm so glad that I have no goddamned kids - it gives me more time to spend with my pets, who will always love me unconditionally.
M4P
What?!!! You mean the kid isn't even dying?!! spanking with a whip on the ass

According to the MAW site, the kid has to have a "life-threatening condition." Munchausen Moos have gotten damn good at making anything and everything "life-threatening." :crz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login