Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A Long, Old Story

Posted by nullipar-tay 
Re: A Long, Old Story
May 19, 2011
After a while, all you want to do is say, "Fine, let the little shit set fire to his/herself. Try explaining that one to CPS, duhdie!"
May 20, 2011
Thanks, folks. I don't feel as badly about the restaurant incident after sharing... I appreciate the sane and honest reactions. Man, talk about souring you on doing good things for strangers!

I stopped lifeguarding shortly after that time. I had one summer with at least one 'save' a week, and I had started to hate, hate, HATE entitled parunts with a burning passion. I had a panic attack that scared the crap out of me (I thought it was a heart attack, since I have a very minor heart condition), and I went for some counseling.

I went on to work as a companion to seniors - it really helped me chill out, getting to help people in such a fun and uplifting way. :cool

-------------------------
"They will say that you are on the wrong road, if it is your own." ~Antonio Porchia
May 21, 2011
Null;
You did the right thing (in the restaurant). I guess the idiot didn't realize his brats were creating a potential fire hazard to not only themselves but every other patron in the place. What a moron!

You're a Hero(ine)! Feel proud!

jbs
May 21, 2011
nullipar-tay
Thanks for the fun responses. I'll go ahead and tell the restaurant story, though as much as a wuss as it makes me, it still makes me uncomfortable to think about. sad smiley

Around the same time as I was getting ready to leave the lifeguarding job, I was hitting severe burnout (as any CF person might). My boyfriend (now husband) decided to take me out to my favorite restaurant one night after a really long day. I loved PF Chang's, and we only had one in our area. The wait without reservations or call-ahead seating could be 2 hours at times. I was exhausted, sun-cooked, and had listened to and held vigilance over 100+ kids that day. (Camps used to bus them to our pool)

We called ahead, so our wait would only be 10 - 15 mins. When we got there, it was a huge freaking zoo. There was no real 'lobby' to wait in - people were lined up on either side of the entry walls. Opposite my boyfriend and I was a huge family. Mom was a trophy wife, sporting giant bling and manicure, Dad was a tall, tanned CEO-type. They had another three adults with them... but there were also four kyds.

The kydz were already hyper, being loud and almost tripping the waiters coming out of the kitchen nearby. This part I own, here and now: The last thing I wanted to do was deal with fucking kids. I'm sure it was written all over my face, and I was probably scowling. The Moo laughs and says, "Would you like one?" (About the kids!) And I shook my head, managing a tense smile. "Nooooo thanks."

We ended up waiting 30-40 minutes. Right when we were being seated, so was the family -- near us. The parunts get the great idea that the adults will sit at one table, and the kids will sit at their own... closer to us than to their parents. This alone wasn't an issue. Honestly, the kids were calmer, and once seated, weren't loud or problematic. I'm trying to ignore them.

At one point, after our drinks had come, I look over. The waiters have brought the four brats their drinks with little paper umbrellas on them. The kids seemed to be in the range of 4 - 10 years, and one of the older ones takes his umbrella, and starts sticking into the candle on their table! doh face

I started to sweat. I tried to look away, but that instinct to avert disaster was winning out, to the point that I couldn't take it anymore. A second child had joined in the fun. They hadn't caught the trinkets on fire yet, but it was only a matter of time. My boyfriend is irritated by it, and concerned, so after watching me twitching in my seat, he leaves the table, discreetly moves over to the Dud, kneels down beside his chair, to warn him about the kids and the fire.

No big deal, right, though the adults give us both looks afterward. The Dud doesn't do squat at first, but appetizers are coming out, and he goes over to 'check' on them, taking the the umbrellas to give the kids 'more room' to eat. He shoots us a look.

Five minutes after this, once the appetizers at the kids' table are devoured, the oldest brat reaches over, and starts to stick his plastic-lacquered chopstick in the candle flame. The adults are having drinks at their table, totally ignoring the kids. I start to twitch again. Here's where I made the mistake. When our mutual waiter came by, I quietly warned him that he may want to blow out the candle once the food comes for the children.

I don't know what the waiter said to the Dud, but he threw his napkin down on the table, stormed over to ours, jerked a chair out, turned it around, and plopped down, and proceeded to make a scene, snarling at us and ripping us a new one. What was our problem, we should mind our own business, etc.

I continued to eat and totally ignored him, but my poor boyfriend was the one getting the brunt of it, and he was like a deer in headlights. We were both shaken up. The asshole gets out of the chair, tells us to just eat our dinner, slams the chair against the table, and storms back.

The waiter tried to play it off, but we did end up finishing and leaving immediately. We didn't go back for over five years. sad smiley NEVER again have I interfered when a child is about to get hurt, but their parunts are supposedly "supervising" them. The asshole did take the chopsticks away from the kids on his way back to his table.

I am still really embarrassed about it. There are a million things we wished we had said, later, but we hadn't managed to say a fucking word at the time. So, yeah, never again.

i've said the truck part of this to people on several ocassions:

"dude-when i see someone dancing around in the street with a Mack truck headed for them, i tell them they might want to get out of the way so they don't get hit. if they keep playing in traffic, that's on them. but i have to wonder, asshole-most parents would be thankful someone is watching out for their kids. the only reason i think you are angry is i prevented you from suing this place out of business because your child got torched because i pointed out your negligence in this matter-is that why you are pissed? you want to start something, i got lawyers of my own. go for it."
Donna411
May 21, 2011
I once worked in a restaurant and heard plenty of horror stories about badly behaved kids from the servers and the front of house manager, but never quite like this. If I were in the restaurant and saw this happen, I probably would intervene, because these kids could have started a fire that could have hurt someone and caused damage to the restaurant. What were these people thinking?

My friend and I like to go to a locally owned, non-chain steakhouse for dinner occasionally and they have candles on the tables. I'll probably think of this story next time we go there and see the candle on the table. We've never seen any kids in there thank goodness and if some patrons do get out of hand, the staff usually puts a stop to it. One time we saw a limo out front and in the back, there were a bunch of teenagers, boys in tuxedos and girls in gowns when I realized, it was some school's prom night and these kids were probably a bunch of spoiled rich kids. They did get loud, but the staff told them to keep it down and they did.

This place probably doesn't attract kids because it's not cheap and there's nothing there to interest them. They don't have TVs all over the place, there's no kids' menu, and the only things on the menu are steaks and a couple of grilled fish and chicken meals. There's nothing fried, they don't even have french fries as a side, only baked potato(regular or sweet), and vegetables. The salad bar is all fresh and the place has a quiet, dimly lit atmosphere, perfect place for a romantic date. Even though they don't require it, we always get dressed up to go there.

That is probably the only place we still eat out at since we don't like going to restaurants and dealing with obnoxious brats, so we usually do take out or cook at home. It is fun to go out once in a while, but not when the brats ruin it by making noise or trying to set the place on fire.

Donna Four Eleven
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login