Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the worst part about being a parent?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
January 08, 2009

Justine Davies

Monday, January 05, 2009 at 11:12am

Well, Merry Christmas (and Happy New Year) everyone, I hope you have all had a wonderful holiday week. Our Christmas day (which started at 5am) was fantastic, filled with paper and plastic and excited kids and extended family with more excited kids. Plenty of food, wine, noise and most important of all, laughter. Good fun.

Thanks to all the readers who responded with positive answers to my “what is your favourite part about being a parent” question the other week. Some fantastic comments and it was great to read some examples of the joy that our kids can bring to our lives from birth right through to adulthood. Their innocence, their joy in simple things, the way they say “I love you”, tucking them into bed, the way they smell, feel, smile and giggle. It’s beautiful.

However in addition to the happy, positive comments I also received a number of negative comments, which didn’t make it onto the page. Mainly because, as I said at the start of the blog, I was really wanting it to be a nice, feel-good topic for the festive season. Obviously some readers just didn’t get that hint though and assumed that what I really meant by the question: “What is your favourite part about being a parent?” was more like: “What really pisses you off about other people’s kids?” or “What really pisses you off about your own kids” or “Tell us all exactly why you are never, ever going to have kids.”

From complaints about sagging breasts and drained bank accounts to loss of figure and independence, to a lack of gratitude, manners and “me time”, there seem to be many and varied levels of parental angst out there.

From the mother who declared that having children was the worst decision she has ever made and has ruined her life to the parent who declared all three of his/her children to be uncaring, ungrateful and conniving to the presumably non-parent who wrote that the best thing about being a parent is “that nauseating (yet desperate) air of superiority you can use as a crutch to cover up your other failures in life, while alienating your childless friends and relatives.” These comments and more would indicate that there is a mixture of anger, frustration, jealousy and who knows what else out there.

So for all those who think that being a parent has more cons than pros – this is your week. Go for it – tell us all why it’s just so goddam awful. My personal kiddie gripes? Changing pooey nappies. That’s about it though, the rest is up to you.

And just as I didn’t publish any negative comments in the previous post, I won’t publish any positive comments this week. So go for it.
http://blogs.news.com.au/moneymum/index.php/news/comments/what/#commentsmore

See, this is why there are so many gotdam breeders out there. People with kids are all to eager too share the Kodak moments with anyone who'll listen (or not), but never, ever tell people about the not so fun parts of parenting. And heaven forbid someone else try to inject a little reality into the Kodak moment. He/she will be verbally smacked down by 10,000 "But it's all worth it (BIAWI), right??!!!??!!!" comments.

I firmly believe that if people knew the truth about what having kids entails, many of them wouldn't do it. I believe this because people have admitted as much to me. And no, they're not bad parents, they're honest parents. And there are tons of them out there. But our extremely kid-centric society ostracizes them for those admissions, so most keep it to themselves.

This moo's bingos were not lost on me, but I give her credit for acknowledging the fact that not everyone believes the BIAWI!!!!! crap.
Anonymous User
Re: What is the worst part about being a parent?
January 08, 2009
That is so true. A former friend on FB complained on her status about how haaaaaard it is. Other moos chimed in saying "but it's all worth it when they say I love you". I added "don't forget they eventually become teenagers who say 'I hate you!' " She removed me from her friend's list. :crz
January 08, 2009
If I've said it once... breeders invented the big lie.
Anonymous User
January 08, 2009
"... to the presumably non-parent who wrote that the best thing about being a parent is 'that nauseating (yet desperate) air of superiority you can use as a crutch to cover up your other failures in life, while alienating your childless friends and relatives.'”

This is the best description of parenthood I've EVER heard...
And, they are the only ones who get to complain for some reason.shrug

This X-mas, 3 of my IL's stated/agreed with each other that they don't miss their brats' "little kyd years" (2 of them were men). I looked at my less militant DH and popped my eyes out doh face to silently say at the table "see, I told you we're not missing anything and parunts hate their kyds as much as I do and they keep it a secret, so don't have any fence-sitting moments." (he ignored me)

Then, when one BIL , more parent than breeder but did reproduce a tribe of 5 kids plus a few miscarriages, left the house, the other breeders were saying "oh, he has so many kyds running around that is why he goes on vacation so much" (which *is* like once a month). I was like, "but he created this, he should not leave it " (implying that it didn't have to be that way) and one breeder agreed. Then other BIL breeder says if I had 5 kids that is what I would do. I keep my mouth shut but while they were all initially breeding they were telling me I was missing JOY, but once again, all you hear is negativity. I call BULLSHIT. tongue sticking out smiley

Make sure you post the follow up article.:ds
January 08, 2009
I don't know, I think this... what is it, column?... is perfectly fair. Because everyone really knows that the (AHA!!!) "worst part about" will get a thousand times more readers, comments and interest than the (yawn) "best part about" comments. The "worst part about" comments will be insightful, revealing, intriguing and funny. Look forward.

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
I agree of all of you because including this Bratfree Girls's topic. In reality, they just cover up the hell-evil-satan side of having kids because when they reveal the truth to people. Men will get a snip and a woman will never girth birth and that's simple. Instead, the breeders lie like crap and encourgae us go through what they go through.

"From complaints about sagging breasts and drained bank accounts to loss of figure and independence, to a lack of gratitude, manners and “me time”, there seem to be many and varied levels of parental angst out there."

This is another one the forum do not want to hear about stretch marks or saggy breast because this will a make women smarter not to go with this pregnancy and if so, they get an abortion. Also this drain bank account is also true. Nope thet say having a a kids is the best thing and changing shitty diapers is fun.

These breeders and bingo baloney. All of them.
Real parents a truley honest about how kids are burden and money drain.
January 12, 2009
Update: there's a buncha comments posted now, at http://blogs.news.com.au/moneymum/index.php/news/comments/what/47102/P0/. Excerpts:

1. Lol… I totally agree with you. My husband and I have been married for 8 years and w ehave decided to remain childless. Most people think there is something wrong with us or that we are plainly selfish. Most of the people I know who have children are: Tired, Cranky, Guilty, Broke, and fighting over how to raise their kids. No thanks, we may be selfish but we enjoy our lives and have nothing to feel bad for.
You've got the right idea replied to Never ever ever ever!!

2. Smart decision, stick to your guns. I wish I had. Love my child with every part of my being, but still I wish I hadn’t gone down that path. I’d happily trade that love for my old life where I wasn’t always racked with guilt, fear and extreme exhaustion. I’m too bloody tired most of the time to enjoy that love. No more than 4 hours of broken sleep a night for 4 years has left me on the verge of mental breakdown. Its not worth it.

3. It really ticks me off when people ask when we’re going to start a family, it’s always “You’ll change your mind, how could you not want kids” or “You have to have kids or you’ll be old and lonely..who will look after you”. OMG people.

We’re already a family you boneheads, and on the wrong side of 35 I can assure you we are more than capable of making decisions that concern our marriage.

As for being looked after when we are old, I have friends that don’t even contact their parents or they have moved overseas so having them is no guarantee they’ll be around or willing to look after you when you are old so don’t count on it.

Oh and my life is sooo lonely and unfulfilled. Oh no not another night of doing whatever I want completely uninterrupted. Oh dear, it’s so sad that I sit for hours and hours reading the newspapers in total peace and quiet. My life sucks, I slept in this morning until 9am, someone just kill me please. How depressing I’m parading around the loungeroom in my undies and not much else AGAIN. My husband just hates it. Boy, I wish we didn’t have to go on yet another European holiday, I’m just so exhausted.

Everybody has choices in life so don’t complain about how annoying and tiring your children are then guilt me into babysitting for you so you can have “me time”. You don’t get me time. You made that choice so suck it up.

We made our choice and we’re celebrating it.

Four: To “You’ve got the right idea” - you’re right. I have that obligatory sense of love and “I’d die for my kids” yada, yada, yada. But the horrified look on people’s faces when I say that I think parenting was the worst decision I ever made, makes me keep my despair to myself.

Five: I’m nowhere near you in the lack of support, but I feel that I’ve made a mistake as well in having kids. And I know, I cannot voice this to anyone I know.

I love my kids (two of them). But if I could turn back time, I would tell myself that it’s just not worth it. It’s not worth the slashed income and rising expenses, the constant lack of sleep, the short tempers, the strain on the relationship, the inability to do something spontaneous, the lack of adult conversation and the sacrifice of the time I used to spend doing the things I love.

..........And so on.
January 12, 2009
clematis
Update: there's a buncha comments posted now, at http://blogs.news.com.au/moneymum/index.php/news/comments/what/47102/P0/. Excerpts:

I love my kids (two of them). But if I could turn back time, I would tell myself that it’s just not worth it. It’s not worth the slashed income and rising expenses, the constant lack of sleep, the short tempers, the strain on the relationship, the inability to do something spontaneous, the lack of adult conversation and the sacrifice of the time I used to spend doing the things I love.

..........And so on.

This is a thing of beauty.
January 12, 2009
Rose Red
clematis

..........And so on.

This is a thing of beauty.

Or doing a terrible disservice to herself.eye rolling smiley

And perhaps even to the kids, who are probably aware that she's talking through her hat when she says she loves them anyway.
January 12, 2009
Why do they nearly always qualify everything negative that they say, like 80 or 100 "I wish I never had kyds" type comments with, "......but I LOVE LOVE LOVE them to pieces!!!!", or...."....but I wouldn't change it for anything in the worlllllddddd!!!!!!!!.", or"...now, I LOVE my kyds, don't get me wrong....but I wish that they had never been born". Do they think that by adding in the various disclaimers that their negative comment will somehow "not count"? It's quite the opposite with me whenever I am reading any parent comments. I scan the pages and hone in on the word "but", because I know that the actual truth will likely follow. Who are they trying to convince? Are they afraid that their ggggggg-grandkyds will stumble across their anonymous internet post in a time capsule? Are they trying to feel better about an uncorrectable mistake?shrug

I can say with reasonable certainty that even if the physical devastation of pregnancy and childbirth was taken out of the equation, that the loss of personal freedom, and it IS great, and the pursuit of happiness being disrupted would be THE biggest deal breakers to me, among MANY MANY other reasons. Take the personal freedom/happiness pursuit out of the equation too, such as with some of these wealthy parents who can afford the nannies, THEN you have the guilt of responsibility for them to assume as in the rich kyd syndrome like, "You don't spend any time with me!, "YOU don't really love me!", Take the guilt of responsibilty out of the equation too, as in the case of the kyd who is just a naturally good person with some intellect, and you have society waiting to see IF ..." it was all worth it, in the end". Then there's the sudden and accidental deaths at age 19 or 20 of a promising young person and I wouldn't wish that pain on myself, or anyone else. There's always the chance too, and getting greater everyday, that they will wind up a criminal, on drugs, and otherwise a HUGE disappointment and embarassment that EVERYONE will blame on the parent, and usually rightfully so. NO THANKS.

If a parent (and kyd) survives all of THAT horror and turns out to be a contributing and responsible adult, the ONLY consolation is that after 30 years or so, the parent can sit back and say, " I must have done something right", and I don't happen to think that the "'prize" is worth all of the work and risks involved. It would be like "earning" a $2 "FIRST PLACE" ribbon after having been wrongly imprisoned for 30+ years. I don't see that as much of a "reward", sorry. However, according to parents, it's the BEST that they can hope for with their kyds. Most of the ones who do something superior, like become president, make scientific discoveries, jet to the moon, invent world changing things like the lightbulb, etc.......create the best art and music that holds up through the centuries, are done later in life and their parents were dead and gone before they ever even knew about it. Then the kyds get to say, "If only mama could see me now, she would be SO proud". "But and IF" seem to be staple words in the breeder vocabulary and I deal better with facts, figures, black and white, absolutes, and proven percentages, when it comes to taking pot shots in the dark, which is exactly what having kyds is, much like Russian Roulette.
January 12, 2009
I just meant her concise description of what she gave up for TMIJITW.
January 12, 2009
Thanks for posting the update. I had forgotten about it, and it was nice to see the "negatives."

I'm grateful that there are parents who are honest about it. I enjoy reading what they have to say. Of course you have the ones who insist that being a parent is wine and roses 24/7, but their insanity, insecurity, and jealousy is glaring, to say the least.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
YEEESSSSSS!!!! I could'nt agree with you more!
My hubby and I have been married for 5 years and have been CF since before we met. WE - LIVE - IT - UP!!!!! We're only 28 . Can you say partying all night whenever we feel like it? Can you say lux vacations? It also dose'nt hurt that we both have rocking bods either.
We thank our lucky stars every day that we aren't stupid enough to have/want kids. When I try to tell parunts how much we've been enjoying life, of course I get the standard series of BS mentioned above. Who wants to hear that they've f-ed up their life by being like everyone else?
Anonymous User
January 14, 2009
Breeders live their lives servitude to the little annoying spawns.
Three words:

Disney. On. Ice.

*runs and sucks thumb in corner*
January 15, 2009
I actually thought of another, very superficial positive to being CF.

If you ever end up in the paper, your name will not be immediately followed by the number of children you have.
January 16, 2009
The worst part of being a parent is that it's a self-created hell escapable only by death.
Anonymous User
January 16, 2009
CF West
Breeders live their lives servitude to the little annoying spawns.

You keep saying this over and over. Please rephrase the statement in the form of a fucking sentence.

Perhaps "Breeders live their lives in servitude to the little annoying spawns".

If you're going to be a broken record at least do the homework ahead of time to be a literate broken record.

KidFreeLuvnLife
The worst part of being a parent is that it's a self-created hell escapable only by death.

Or homicide.
January 16, 2009
Yep, precisely why women like Andrea Gates and Casey Anthony should not breed.

KidFreeLuvnLife

Or homicide.[/quote]
January 16, 2009
Rose Red

If you ever end up in the paper, your name will not be immediately followed by the number of children you have.

waving hellolarious waving hellolarious waving hellolarious

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
January 16, 2009
kidlesskim
Why do they nearly always qualify everything negative that they say, like 80 or 100 "I wish I never had kyds" type comments with, "......but I LOVE LOVE LOVE them to pieces!!!!", or...."....but I wouldn't change it for anything in the worlllllddddd!!!!!!!!.", or"...now, I LOVE my kyds, don't get me wrong....but I wish that they had never been born". Who are they trying to convince?

Yes. When was the last time you heard anyone say "I love my spouse to pieces, and I would be lost without him, and he's the centre of my world, and he's the bestest ever ever ever! But I resent being married and I wish I'd never met him."

- - - - - - - -
"The death of creativity is a pram in the hallway"
- Cyril Connolly
January 16, 2009
The worst part about being a parent...is all of it, from birth to death. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing worthwhile or rewarding about having kids because they will destroy you physically, mentally, and financially. And there's no guarantee that when they turn 18 they'll stop being money leeches. There's no guarantee a teen daughter won't get knocked up...she'll keep it and then make her own parents raise it. There's no guarantee the kid will grow into a useful individual, even if you raise them right. There's no guarantee your kid will be there for you when you're too infirm to care for yourself. It's a total crap shoot and an absurd creature to invest so much time, money and effort in.
January 16, 2009

HAHAHA! Yes, the number of children AND grandchildren...especially grandchildren, as we've discussed before. Everyone knows your existence is completely worthless unless you've managed to have the almighty GRAND children.
Cambion
The worst part about being a parent...is all of it, from birth to death. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing worthwhile or rewarding about having kids because they will destroy you physically, mentally, and financially. And there's no guarantee that when they turn 18 they'll stop being money leeches. There's no guarantee a teen daughter won't get knocked up...she'll keep it and then make her own parents raise it. There's no guarantee the kid will grow into a useful individual, even if you raise them right. There's no guarantee your kid will be there for you when you're too infirm to care for yourself. It's a total crap shoot and an absurd creature to invest so much time, money and effort in.

I totally agree Cambion and don't forget the phsyical side effects after you give birth and no more sex anymore. Suddendly you'll turn into a breeder moo or duh and being bothing but the baby's slave and put up with the bodily waste fluid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login