Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Being a housewife shouldn't = baby maker.

Posted by quills 
Being a housewife shouldn't = baby maker.
November 21, 2011
Okie dokie. So yep. I'm a housewife. An Army housewife. I clean and cook and pamper my husband when he gets home from his exhausting job in the armory. I enjoy it. He would be stressed to insanity if he didn't have me to help him unwind after work. I have the freetime to learn things I want to and I don;t have to risk my anxiety disorder causing me to have a mental breakdown by being in public too much.

But unfortunately this means I get, as you say, "Bingo-ed" a lot with the "But you have so much free time. Why don't you have kids?" or "Like being a housewife is important. You should at least be a mother."

I have even been bingoed by a guy in our unit. Yes by one of the other soldiers. This is rare because the other soldiers KNOW me. (I'm a gamer and I make cookies. This apparently makes me like the coolest wife ever and they all come over and hang out with us lol. Thus they all know I get furious at mention of baby making)

But this nimrod flat out used the "But you're female. You'll want kids." line on me. I even responded "No I won't. I'll rip my uterus out and wear it as a hat first." to which he immediately turns to my husband and says "Your wife is selfish I'm sure you want kids." Of course my awesome husband tells him No he doesn't and that if nimrod doesn't leave he was going to stop holding me to the bench and let me rip the dude's throat out. And this all started right after I said that my job is being a housewife. Because somehow that means I am suddenly a broodmare.

Is anyone else here a housewife? It seems like women with careers can at least use the "I don't want to give up my hard earned career for a brat." to ward people off but my being a housewife seems to fuel their fervor.
Re: Being a housewife shouldn't = baby maker.
November 21, 2011
I like that comeback! waving hellolarious
It's awesome that you're a gamer.
I am too, but not hardcoar.
Just fantasy/roleplaying games, sim life kinds of games, etc.

“I don’t have pet peeves, I have major, psychotic fucking hatreds.”
— George Carlin
November 21, 2011
frenzy

The wear my uterus as a hat? That's one of my standards. I find that whipping out a little of my psycho self on people tends to make them back-off if they have any survival instinct left.

I was kind of guessing you were a gamer from your Leafeon avatar grinning smiley

I don't know if I'm hardcore myself. My two fave franchises are Zelda and Harvest Moon from way back in my childhood but I love stuff like Borderlands, Resident Evil 5, Skyrim and Soul Caliber as well..
The husband likes to bring soldiers over for me to humiliate in Soul Caliber 4 actually lol.
November 21, 2011
quills
frenzy

The wear my uterus as a hat? That's one of my standards. I find that whipping out a little of my psycho self on people tends to make them back-off if they have any survival instinct left.

I was kind of guessing you were a gamer from your Leafeon avatar grinning smiley

I don't know if I'm hardcore myself. My two fave franchises are Zelda and Harvest Moon from way back in my childhood but I love stuff like Borderlands, Resident Evil 5, Skyrim and Soul Caliber as well..
The husband likes to bring soldiers over for me to humiliate in Soul Caliber 4 actually lol.

Yes.
I might have to start using that when I start getting the brunt of the bingoes in my twenties.
Haha, I'm glad you recognize it!
I've started making the animated B&W sprites as my avatar a theme. grinning smiley
Anyways, Harvest Moon!
Gah, love Magical Melody.
Except the having a kid part but I kind of just let it sit there.
And because of the BF I've heard of the whole Elder Scrolls series.
Skyrim came up in my Game Informer and now I want it.
My favorite games right now though include Okami, Golden Sun (Dark Dawn), and Pokemon Black/White.
Golden Sun is a PITA right now though because the final boss is a titsucker.
/end rambling

— George Carlin

November 21, 2011
frenzy

Yes.
I might have to start using that when I start getting the brunt of the bingoes in my twenties.
Haha, I'm glad you recognize it!
I've started making the animated B&W sprites as my avatar a theme. grinning smiley
Anyways, Harvest Moon!
Gah, love Magical Melody.
Except the having a kid part but I kind of just let it sit there.
And because of the BF I've heard of the whole Elder Scrolls series.
Skyrim came up in my Game Informer and now I want it.
My favorite games right now though include Okami, Golden Sun (Dark Dawn), and Pokemon Black/White.
Golden Sun is a PITA right now though because the final boss is an titsucker.
/end rambling

But of course. It's pretty freaking effective. Especially if you say it in a sweet singsong voice and smile all crazy. Perhaps in a way that says you would savor the act.

I think I still have Harvest Moon MM. I recently got Tale of Two Towns on 3DS (so nifty!) And I'm waiting on the next Rune Factory on the 3DS. I usually treat the children in those games like pets I don't have to give feed to. Except in Animal Parade. They actually work for you when they grow up. So I treat them slaaaaaaves.

I have played through Okami and I am still playing through Pokemon and Golden Sun. I shall make sure to level grind like a bawss before Sir titsucker in golden sun since you said something grinning smiley

AND you should try Skyrim. I lost 70 hours of my LIFE to that game already and only Skyward Sword has pried me away.
November 21, 2011
I'm a housewife for now, (and a gamer, by the way of the Sims and GTA fighting games) due to crappy hearing and no one hiring. I never got the 'but your at home, you should breed/love kids bingo, but if I did, my comeback would be similar to yours.

lab mom
November 21, 2011
quills
But of course. It's pretty freaking effective. Especially if you say it in a sweet singsong voice and smile all crazy. Perhaps in a way that says you would savor the act.

I think I still have Harvest Moon MM. I recently got Tale of Two Towns on 3DS (so nifty!) And I'm waiting on the next Rune Factory on the 3DS.

I have played through Okami and I am still playing through Pokemon and Golden Sun. I shall make sure to level grind like a bawss before Sir titsucker in golden sun since you said something grinning smiley

AND you should try Skyrim. I lost 70 hours of my LIFE to that game already and only Skyward Sword has pried me away.

I'm waiting to get Animal Crossing for the 3DS.
Love that game.
Have everything from the gamecube version to City Folk.
And yes, grind.
How far are you on GS and Pokemon?
With Okami I'm on my third playthrough, attempting to get the stray beads.
That sucks so much.

Unfortunately, I don't have the system to play Skyrim on. :c
But I may get it at some point in my life.

ETA: Have you ever played Monster Hunter?
I have Tri.
I've seen the other versions too and they look kickass.
Btw, sorry for threadjacking. xD

— George Carlin

November 21, 2011
WaterLily
I'm a housewife for now, (and a gamer, by the way of the Sims and GTA fighting games) due to crappy hearing and no one hiring. I never got the 'but your at home, you should breed/love kids bingo, but if I did, my comeback would be similar to yours.

Yikes. I couldn't keep a job thanks to my mental instability so hubby joined the army and told me to be the housewife like I always said I wanted to do. (I always wanted to flitter around the house with a duster and a frilly apron. Low expectations but still my dream lol). I'm guessing housewifery wasn't your dream though eh?
November 21, 2011
frenzy

I'm waiting to get Animal Crossing for the 3DS.
Love that game.
Have everything from the gamecube version to City Folk.
And yes, grind.
How far are you on GS and Pokemon?
With Okami I'm on my third playthrough, attempting to get the stray beads.
That sucks so much.

Unfortunately, I don't have the system to play Skyrim on. :c
But I may get it at some point in my life.

ETA: Have you ever played Monster Hunter?
I have Tri.
I've seen the other versions too and they look kickass.
Btw, sorry for threadjacking. xD

OMG I can't wait for Animal Crossing either O: Gimme my mortgage!

I have no idea how far I am in GS anymore. I think I started over because I quit playing for a different game (Ocarina of Time on 3DS I think) and lost the thread of the story. And yes I have played Monster Hunter lol. We have it on PSP but the husband bogarted it for when he's stuck in the field guarding equipment that one one needs *eyeroll at silly army stuff*

I think I've only got one gym left in B&W and only because I've spent most of the game la la laing around catching stuff to make my perfect team. I probably should go through Okami again too lol but I totally went on to Okamiden on DS (happens a lot due to only one tv in a house with two gamers and I usually give it up to the hubby)

Skyrim btw is on 360, PS3, and PC? No PC? I mean I personally prefer it on PS3 but I hear the PC version i s super good. Come. Join the collective.
November 21, 2011
quills
OMG I can't wait for Animal Crossing either O: Gimme my mortgage!

I have no idea how far I am in GS anymore. I think I started over because I quit playing for a different game (Ocarina of Time on 3DS I think) and lost the thread of the story. And yes I have played Monster Hunter lol. We have it on PSP but the husband bogarted it for when he's stuck in the field guarding equipment that one one needs *eyeroll at silly army stuff*

I think I've only got one gym left in B&W and only because I've spent most of the game la la laing around catching stuff to make my perfect team. I probably should go through Okami again too lol but I totally went on to Okamiden on DS (happens a lot due to only one tv in a house with two gamers and I usually give it up to the hubby)

Skyrim btw is on 360, PS3, and PC? No PC? I mean I personally prefer it on PS3 but I hear the PC version i s super good. Come. Join the collective.

Haha, I know!

Well, there are some things to watch out for.
I got stuck in GS all the time because I'm like, wtf do I do next?
Figured it out though, eventually.
Except for the titsucker final boss.
Anyways.
Okami I could go through over and over.
I just wish I could keep the Tundra Beads.
Rosaries are the best.
As for Pokemon, I did the same especially in the Pokemon League because that's a PITA, too.
The fighting guy can be the worst depending on who you're using.
In MH3, I think I'm rank... 130-ish.
Did a LOT of online grinding but Tri's a piece of cake compared to the others.

I have a laptop but it's slow as fuck knuckles. :/

— George Carlin
November 21, 2011
I'm a housewife, I also have anxiety disorder. I haven't had a flat out comment about not having kids but I have heard things said about me such as I must sit around the house all day and do nothing while my husband goes out to work. I guess that can mean that I don't have kids to raise so how do I spend the hours of my day?

Without telling strangers my medical history he basically tells them that I don't have to and he can provide for his wife and cats just fine. I look after the household duties and the kitties. The last time I had a job was about 3.5 years ago, my anxiety gets worse as I get older. I did some work as a fill-in karaoke host this summer but I didn't do it alone, my husband did the talking and announcing and I worked the karaoke system and sang songs too. I'm not really afraid of performing on stage and having them look at me while I sing..it's talking to people that freak me out, lol. However, I was thankful when the stint came to an end because it was actually starting to fray my nerves after several weeks.

I also play games such as the Sims and play music as a hobby. The people who really know us well know we're CF people and they're aware that I rarely leave the house and don't say anything about it other than they wish I went out a bit more or ask when I'll be around. I really only leave the house to run errands. Normally when my husband and I go out we go out together for a meal and then just go home. I'm not much of a social butterfly or a nightlife person (not anymore anyway, used to be when I was in my 20s).

The rude remarks and assumptions come from people who don't know us so well. I think being CF is probably one of many reasons people think we're weirdos, haha.
November 21, 2011
mazey
I'm a housewife, I also have anxiety disorder. I haven't had a flat out comment about not having kids but I have heard things said about me such as I must sit around the house all day and do nothing while my husband goes out to work. I guess that can mean that I don't have kids to raise so how do I spend the hours of my day?

Without telling strangers my medical history he basically tells them that I don't have to and he can provide for his wife and cats just fine. I look after the household duties and the kitties. The last time I had a job was about 3.5 years ago, my anxiety gets worse as I get older. I did some work as a fill-in karaoke host this summer but I didn't do it alone, my husband did the talking and announcing and I worked the karaoke system and sang songs too. I'm not really afraid of performing on stage and having them look at me while I sing..it's talking to people that freak me out, lol. However, I was thankful when the stint came to an end because it was actually starting to fray my nerves after several weeks.

I also play games such as the Sims and play music as a hobby. The people who really know us well know we're CF people and they're aware that I rarely leave the house and don't say anything about it other than they wish I went out a bit more or ask when I'll be around. I really only leave the house to run errands. Normally when my husband and I go out we go out together for a meal and then just go home. I'm not much of a social butterfly or a nightlife person (not anymore anyway, used to be when I was in my 20s).

The rude remarks and assumptions come from people who don't know us so well. I think being CF is probably one of many reasons people think we're weirdos, haha.

TT_TT OMFG I love this forum. I feel like I found my own circle of belonging with you guys.

My anxiety gets worse every year too. I actually am in therapy to learn coping methods so I can go to the grocery store without hyperventilating. I'm about to be 24 and my hubby and I do the go out to dinner, maybe a movie or bookstore thing for our date nights. Neither of us are social butterflies, especially me. He just hates dealing with retards and I can't handle being in crowds at all. He ends up going into protective bear mode anytime we go to the mall. Srsly your lifestyle sounds a LOT like mine. My days are Get Up, Take Bath, Go through chores, Play with kitties and puppy, Work on puppy training, Go through second part of chores probably laundry, prep dinner,work on one of my hobbies like chainmail or crochet or drawing.....fix dinner and wait for hubby to get home so I can glomp him into smiling. And yes I totally fetch him beer and sammiches because he works hard all day to take care of my crazy self and deserves it.
I feel like a lot less of a weirdo heart

It kind of seems that they were trying to say that I can't possibly have enough to do because I'm a housewife and I'm just lazy for not wanting a kid or something. So right along the lines of how you're interpreting it I think. I get so freaking furious when people question my personal choice as it is but to belittle me that way just makes me want to jump on them and bash their heads on the floor till they stop making noises.
November 21, 2011
quills
WaterLily

Yikes. I couldn't keep a job thanks to my mental instability so hubby joined the army and told me to be the housewife like I always said I wanted to do. (I always wanted to flitter around the house with a duster and a frilly apron. Low expectations but still my dream lol). I'm guessing housewifery wasn't your dream though eh?

No, but I'm having no problems with it. smiling smiley I take care of our dog, as he is well trained and knows quite a few tricks, lol.

lab mom
November 21, 2011
Mazy

This (above, except for the music part) explains me to a T. We must be twins or something...

lab mom
November 21, 2011
Snark Shark
""But you have so much free time. Why don't you have kids?" "

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THAT'S A GREAAAAAAAAAAAAT REASON TO REPRODUCE.
Seems to be the only reason a lot of people need. Like I need some ankle biter to validate my existence. Breeders are such pathetic people.

Snark Shark
" He just hates dealing with retards and I can't handle being in crowds at all. "

Then whatever you do, DON'T GO TO WALMART!

/: Last time I went to walmart I got cornered by some religious nut and I ended up snapping and scaring the holy trinity right out of them. Totally served them right for harassing a pagan /:
November 21, 2011
WaterLily

No, but I'm having no problems with it. smiling smiley I take care of our dog, as he is well trained and knows quite a few tricks, lol.

Oh good. It's one thing to choose housewifery but I worry for the sanity of anyone that hasn't. It could drive anyone that's used to going and being totally independent into insanity.

We just got a doggie last month. I've never had a dog. Just cats (we have 4). His insanity frustrates me because I'm used to my very sleepy cuddly cats and he thinks I'm a chew bone D: We're working on it though. Unfortunately for him my eldest cat has taken matters into his own hands and when we scold the dog he will saunter over and give him bappings (doesn't extend the claws) like he's policing the flipping dog lol.
November 21, 2011
quills
WaterLily

Oh good. It's one thing to choose housewifery but I worry for the sanity of anyone that hasn't. It could drive anyone that's used to going and being totally independent into insanity.

We just got a doggie last month. I've never had a dog. Just cats (we have 4). His insanity frustrates me because I'm used to my very sleepy cuddly cats and he thinks I'm a chew bone D: We're working on it though. Unfortunately for him my eldest cat has taken matters into his own hands and when we scold the dog he will saunter over and give him bappings (doesn't extend the claws) like he's policing the flipping dog lol.

Yeah, I have my moments, lol, but I'm getting more and more used to it.

Good for the cats!

lab mom
November 21, 2011
quills
Snark Shark
""But you have so much free time. Why don't you have kids?" "

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH THAT'S A GREAAAAAAAAAAAAT REASON TO REPRODUCE.
Seems to be the only reason a lot of people need. Like I need some ankle biter to validate my existence. Breeders are such pathetic people.

Snark Shark
" He just hates dealing with retards and I can't handle being in crowds at all. "

Then whatever you do, DON'T GO TO WALMART!

/: Last time I went to walmart I got cornered by some religious nut and I ended up snapping and scaring the holy trinity right out of them. Totally served them right for harassing a pagan /:

Even though I'm Christian/NON-fundy, I do NOT understand why other "Christians" just can't leave people alone and not harass others of other faiths/spiritually paths. That's not what our faith, nor our "book" teaches us.

Fundy Christians give non-fundy Christians a bad name and rap. angry smiley

lab mom
November 21, 2011
You say you have pets - just say that you are too busy taking care of the house and animals. Puppies can be a lot of work!
November 21, 2011
WaterLily

Even though I'm Christian/NON-fundy, I do NOT understand why other "Christians" just can't leave people alone and not harass others of other faiths/spiritually paths. That's not what our faith, nor our "book" teaches us.

Fundy Christians give non-fundy Christians a bad name and rap. angry smiley

I went to a private Christian school and I had to say that a million times a day. I felt like I knew the bible better than the supposed christians there. Including the bible teachers. Dad sent me there though not my mom. My mom raised me agnostic and introduced me to paganism when I finally started searching for religion at 11.

Oh and I have also been cornered at the commissary on-base. Lady walked up to me and starts blabbering (i had noticeable headphones on mind you) at me while I'm choosing some frozen corn. I turn around and plaster a big fake smile on my face (package of corn in each hand). I end up telling her as politely as possible that her religion was not mine and I expected to go on my merry way when she asks what is then. I tell her Pagan. She pulls out this gem of a line "Oh so you don;t believe in God.*sneer*" I snapped "No bitch I believe in MORE gods. Maybe you ignorant shits should research other religions so you don't look like fucking morons when you HARASS people in PUBLIC." Everyone gave her the death stare. She scuttled out.
November 21, 2011
gymrat
You say you have pets - just say that you are too busy taking care of the house and animals. Puppies can be a lot of work!

So true. But at least the dog doesn't shit himself, lie there in it and scream till I come change him. *shudder*
November 21, 2011
quills
Okie dokie. So yep. I'm a housewife. An Army housewife. I clean and cook and pamper my husband when he gets home from his exhausting job in the armory. I enjoy it. He would be stressed to insanity if he didn't have me to help him unwind after work. I have the freetime to learn things I want to and I don;t have to risk my anxiety disorder causing me to have a mental breakdown by being in public too much.

But unfortunately this means I get, as you say, "Bingo-ed" a lot with the "But you have so much free time. Why don't you have kids?" or "Like being a housewife is important. You should at least be a mother."

I have even been bingoed by a guy in our unit. Yes by one of the other soldiers. This is rare because the other soldiers KNOW me. (I'm a gamer and I make cookies. This apparently makes me like the coolest wife ever and they all come over and hang out with us lol. Thus they all know I get furious at mention of baby making)

But this nimrod flat out used the "But you're female. You'll want kids." line on me. I even responded "No I won't. I'll rip my uterus out and wear it as a hat first." to which he immediately turns to my husband and says "Your wife is selfish I'm sure you want kids." Of course my awesome husband tells him No he doesn't and that if nimrod doesn't leave he was going to stop holding me to the bench and let me rip the dude's throat out. And this all started right after I said that my job is being a housewife. Because somehow that means I am suddenly a broodmare.

Is anyone else here a housewife? It seems like women with careers can at least use the "I don't want to give up my hard earned career for a brat." to ward people off but my being a housewife seems to fuel their fervor.

Were we separated at birth?? Though I did work when I was of child baring age... I quit in my 40's (sick father and then the subsequent stuff that followed his death) just never went back because my dh has a high stress job and I feel that in keep the house in order, paying the bills and doing the cooking IS my job. He needs to concentrate on his job. I also have time for my volunteer work and some hobbies.
Now I am past the 'you'll change your mind' stage. (58 and fixed and menopaused) but I still get asked if I have any... and then, sometimes the 'awww' when I say no. Then I have to say that I am CF and sometimes I get heads shaking... but mostly I get the 'you're smart' comment.
Not looking my age ( mostly because I lead a pretty stressfree life and never shat a loaf) if I wear a loose dress or top I'll get the 'are you piggers?' question. I now LOVE to get that because I feel that I must still look young enough. (but in this day of moos shitting loaves in their 50's and 60's...I dunno)
Everyone where my dh works loves me for my cooking talents. I keep them fed too on occasion.
I feel that my life is important. I do charity work and take care of my dh and my poodle.. and my house.. which we could have never had if we'd had college tuitions and god knows what else.
November 21, 2011
starlady

Were we separated at birth?? Though I did work when I was of child baring age... I quit in my 40's (sick father and then the subsequent stuff that followed his death) just never went back because my dh has a high stress job and I feel that in keep the house in order, paying the bills and doing the cooking IS my job. He needs to concentrate on his job. I also have time for my volunteer work and some hobbies.
Now I am past the 'you'll change your mind' stage. (58 and fixed and menopaused) but I still get asked if I have any... and then, sometimes the 'awww' when I say no. Then I have to say that I am CF and sometimes I get heads shaking... but mostly I get the 'you're smart' comment.
Not looking my age ( mostly because I lead a pretty stressfree life and never shat a loaf) if I wear a loose dress or top I'll get the 'are you piggers?' question. I now LOVE to get that because I feel that I must still look young enough. (but in this day of moos shitting loaves in their 50's and 60's...I dunno)
Everyone where my dh works loves me for my cooking talents. I keep them fed too on occasion.
I feel that my life is important. I do charity work and take care of my dh and my poodle.. and my house.. which we could have never had if we'd had college tuitions and god knows what else.

You seriously just gave me a very nice glimpse of how my future could unfold. I can't wait till people see my choice as smart instead of WRONG WRONG WRONG.

The having free time for hobbies thing is the best part of housewifery to me. I have a million hobbies. Video games, Reading, drawing, painting, chain maille, crochet, cooking (cooking is a big hobby with me lol) the list goes on. My hubby shares many of my interests and we have beer and game night frequently. I feel so bad for the few married soldiers that come over to hang out (wife and baby not invited my no children in my house rule is non-negotiable now.) They always say the same thing when they watch the hubby and I together, playing jokes off each other, finishing each other's sentences...."You guys enjoy each other way too much for a couple that's been married as long as you have." And I always wonder....do they not share ANY common interests with their wife besides their kids? That marriage isn't going to work that way. Not happily.
November 21, 2011
I'm in my late 30s, in the beginning of our relationship my husband didn't understand anxiety and panic attacks. I was taking medication and in therapy at the time we met, but over the years he grew to understand my condition. He's a professional musician, he's outgoing and he's a natural speaker and is good with people, we're totally opposite in that regard. We've been together over 10 years now and there have been times in our relationship when he didn't have a job and I was the breadwinner or times when we both worked and I had more work than he did, so it all balances out. We look out for each other. When I was in my 20s I functioned much better in society and was able to socialize a bit and work but a long course of events set me back. I think I will probably have to start taking anti-anxiety meds again soon. I haven't taken any for about 3 or 4 years now. I don't feel like a prisoner in my own house, I feel like a prisoner of my own mind sometimes, lol.
November 21, 2011
quills
frenzy

I am also a gamer! Mass Effect, Dead Space, Fallout 3, BioShock, Half-Life 2

I LOVE RE5! I also thoroughly enjoy Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

HA! I love your comeback to that dummy. It clearly states "No way in hell!" It's amazing how breeder-brains just don't get it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login