Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Parental Status Mentioned in News Headlines

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Parental Status Mentioned in News Headlines
April 16, 2013
This article (http://www.wkbn.com/2013/04/16/mother-holds-intruder-at-gunpoint/) on the website of one of the local news stations where I live brings up a peeve that I've had for quite a while now: when a person's parental status is mentioned in news articles. The news media seems to think that the word "mother" is synonymous with "woman", like as if they've taken this part of the SNL "Mom Jeans" sketch to heart:

So this Mother's Day, don't give Mom that bottle of perfume. Give her something that says, "I'm not a woman any more. I'm a Mom."

(I've seen the same thing with men, but not nearly as often as I have with women.)
Re: Parental Status Mentioned in News Headlines
April 16, 2013
That doesn't even make any sense...

----------
"Be yourself, no matter what. Some will adore you, and some will hate everything about you, but who cares?

It's your life. Make the most out of it."
April 16, 2013
There was a recent drunk driving death in my area, and all the local news sources have been blaring the "mother of two killed in car crash" headlines for the past few days. It irritates me as well. Her being a mother has absolutely nothing to do with the accident.
April 16, 2013
It's a moo saying it. Of course it doesn't make sense.
April 17, 2013
There was a hit and run case in north Texas a few months ago where a teacher was involved in the hit and run accident of a young boy. The woman who committed the crime was described as "teacher" and "woman" but never as "grandmother" in the headlines even though in later stories it is mentioned that she has grandchildren.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013/03/lawyer-for-grand-prairie-teacher-accused-of-fatal-hit-and-run-wants-das-office-to-return-her-car.html/

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Former-Texas-Teacher-Indicted-In-Boys-Hit-And-Run-Death-200718351.html

Since we all know that a PARENT would NEVER do such a thing, I guess the media was stripping her of her parental title from her because she was involved in such a crime.
April 17, 2013
We discussed a this in another thread a couple of months ago, where a woman who went to Turkey then went missing was first identified as a "missing mother."

Later, after it was determined that she went there to have sex with men that she met on the web, she was no longer identified as a "missing wife and mother,"
April 17, 2013
We should start doing this with totally bizarre and unrelated things such as -

Regarding the topic of nuclear waste, as a Eurasian I feel -

Regarding President Obama's address to the nation, as a former Tennis player I believe -

As a Child Free Person I have to say that I'm greatly concerned over the uptick in Manganese prices -

As someone who once lived down the street from Polish people, I have to say that I feel Euchre is a grossly misunderstood card game -

Having once owned a dog, I am deeply saddened by the war in Afghanistan -

As former resident of Michigan - let me tell you - present economic policy relies too heavily on the ideas of Keynes -

Four score and seven years ago I reached the age of negative fifty, therefor I am deeply concerned over the threat to the Bolivian Banana crop -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login