Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

People I have admitted being CF to and they don't care

Posted by evilchildlessbitch 
People I have admitted being CF to and they don't care
April 24, 2014
It seems like breeder propaganda is everywhere so I wanted to start a thread about people who support those of us who are CF. I grew up in the south and in a very conservative area. I am literally the only CF person I know from back home although several high school friends are supportive of me being CF.
The person who is most supportive? My grandmother! In addition to being excited when sbe discovered the term "childfree" last month on CNN, she also once gave me a big chunk of money to "travel and have fun" because I didn't spawn. I spent 2 wonderful weeks galavanting around Califoria on that money. Neither my sister nor any of cousins ever got the same benefit. She has also told me that she is happy about all of the cool stuff I get to do because I am CF.
My parents are also glad I am CF. They know I never wanted to spawn so they are glad I xdidn't.
After reading about family Bingos over and over on this board and IRL, I will never stop being grateful for people in my life who don't do that bullshit.
My now husband became CF only after we got serious in our relationship.
I have a friend who is trying very hard to get a vasectomy. At the age of 39. He got a full Bingo card when he tried to get a referral from his old PCP. His new PCP is my husband and I's PCP who is also CF.
Re: People I have admitted being CF to and they don't care
April 24, 2014
The people I associate with are largely supportive; I wouldn't associate with them if they weren't! I've said before my parents want me to do what is best for me and have never so much as hinted that they want me to have children.

I can discuss overpopulation, pro-natalist bias, breeder privilege and being CF with all my PNB friends without the impression that they disagree with my choice. I usually stop short of discussing my natal scepticism, but not my views on eugenics. We actually agree on most of these topics, because they aren't the sort who need their choices validated. I can joke about children freely around them. One likes to send me CF articles (demographic ones, not ones which perpetuate the "loving auntie" stereotype) as a means of showing support.

I also have CF friends and my SO, with whom I can discuss ethics in more detail.

There are just two people who I'm still friends with who have bingoed me, and in these cases the bingo was one incident in the context of a longer relationship where the person had demonstrated friendship in many ways prior to the incident.

So, by and large, I am surrounded by supportive people, which is why I tend to laugh off bingos, as they come from strangers who don't know me at all and can actually be entertaining to demolish. I'm far more bothered by things like breeder privilege than the thinly-concealed envy of the regretful breeder.
April 24, 2014
i am surrounded by supportive people now but it was not always the case. Before my parents died I got bingos from the whole freekin' family.. except for one CF cousin. Now my only family is my social group and most of them are grandmothers by now.. but they all support my choice in life (too late not to 'cause 'that ship has sailed') Some do envy me and say 'If I could go back.....' For the most part.. my lack of kids is rarely, if ever, discussed amongst my peers.
April 24, 2014
All of the people in my current life are tolerant of my child-free life.
I do not expect support, except from those closest to me, but I do not accept any negativity or harassment from anyone, ever.
My boyfriend is also child-free but is slightly puzzled and annoyed by how strongly I express my child-free stance.
April 24, 2014
Cassia, my partner is also CF but nowhere near as opinionated as I am about it. When he expresses amusement at how annoyed I get, I ask him how many people bingoed him lately, or made unflattering assumptions about what kind of a person he is because he doesn't want children, or patronized him about how "he'll change his mind". It's different for women. It just is. Men don't get half as much shit about breeding as we do, though I'm not suggesting for a moment that they don't get their share of it. Despite all the waves of feminism and everything else, there is still a perception that the main purpose of a woman's life is to be a mother, and things like careers and other activities are just distractions until the main event. Mother's with careers are vilified if they don't say "but my children are the most important thing in my life". Fathers don't have that same pressure.

There are very few people I can be truly open with about my CF status. My best friend (PNcool smiley and a male CF friend of mine, but I don't have any close CF female friends. My family don't like to be confronted with my CF-ness, it is seen as something slightly distasteful. Some of my friends are well meaning, but don't really understand what CF actually means - can't wrap their brains around "no children not ever".I get a lot of wrong headed assassumptions because I do alternative modelling and promotions work (as well as my normal "serious" day job) that my CF-ness is a vanity thing, and it's about my figure. But then, I've also worked with some ladies who have kids who have been judged for not stopping once they sprogged, like once you become a moo, you are not allowed to be pretty or sexy or pay attention to your appearance. They all have to be Waynetta slobs in trackies, "tiger striped" belly hanging out, brats attached to every tit, unwashed hair and baby puke stains. A woman who dares have kids and keep her own identity is a traitor to the almighty cult of MOO.

So yeah....bit of a ramble but I don't have many people I can be honest about being CF with IRL.
April 24, 2014
My SIL and my best friend going way back to middle school years both have a kid, but they've been supportive of my being CF and never bingo me. Both of them are stopping at one (well I think that's the case so far for my SIL, crossing my fingers), and my best friend even told me that if she had to do it again she'd never have kids.

I don't really get bingoed by people who know me well. I think I give off a certain "I'm not breeding so don't bother" vibe. My husband is pretty vocal about being CF, but he didn't learn about CFdom until we got together. I made it clear at the very beginning of our relationship that I wasn't going to be breeding. I don't think he thought about it either way beforehand, but I do feel that I probably rescued him from a potential oops if we hadn't gotten together.
April 24, 2014
My immediate family has known and about as long as I have and supports me, I've never been good with kids. In particular, sister #2 is a PNB and feels pretty open to tell me how awful parenthood is - I feel like she knows I won't judge her. She has (drunkenly) admitted that if she didn't want those kids so damn bad she'd kill herself, so good for me for not having them if I don't want them.

Now that I think about it, I'm actually surrounded by more people that are supportive than those that aren't. Just a couple of our younger friends bingo us, actually.
April 24, 2014
My parents haven't congratulated me or anything, but they seem to respect my position and do not give me the slightest bit of grief. Neither of my sibs have kids, either, so I guess Mom n Dad don't have much choice to accept it. They've got lives, though, and those don't seem to center around sighing wistfully about babies.

All the other close friends I have are respectful about it, too, even the childed ones. I tend to drift away from people who are overly rah-rah about parenting, though, so that filters out a lot of crap. My friends are matter-of-fact about their kids and about raising them.

The only people who aren't supportive or who mindlessly bingo are the ones who don't know me well...generally friends of friends, co-workers, or the occasional stranger.
April 25, 2014
Generally I don't tell people about my being CF unless I'm fairly certain they won't give me shit about it. Some friends I've told it to and explained my reasons. Some of them got it despite not being CF themselves, and others bingoed me. Aesirson is the only other genuinely CF person I know outside the web and the only one of my friends who I can be totally honest around in regard to childfreedom. Everyone else has told me my feelings are disturbing or extreme.

I've tried telling my mother I was CF and it never sank in. I've told her when she was having one of her nervous breakdowns over not finding my tampons in the trash and assuming I was knocked up; but she was too busy blubbering and slobbering to listen. She doesn't seem to want me to have kids, which is fine, but I wish she wasn't so dramatic about it. Shows how much she has to worry about when she's got time to sob over the fact that the bathroom doesn't smell like rotten blood at the exact same time it did last month.
April 25, 2014
Also, I don't bother telling people I'm skipping parenthood unless it's very relevant to the conversation at hand. I figure that nonreproductive plans are just are personal as reproductive plans.
April 25, 2014
I have had some random comments from people that have been supportive. One that stands out for me, is when I was volunteering at my local Arts Center. One lady asked me if I had kyds or a husband, I told her that I didn't. She said that was great, because both of them give you premature wrinkles! bouncing and laughing
April 26, 2014
My parents have told me on more than one occasion that I was smart to think about kyds instead of just assuming you have to have them. They wanted kyds so they had me and my sibling but made SURE there were no more. My parents' generation of siblings didn't do the "oopsie" thing. You had the kyds you want and can afford and then there are no more. My grandmother discovered the term "ChildFree" on CNN a few months ago and called to tell me about it because she knows I am not spawning but never used the term CF around her. What's funny is I am the favorite grandchyld and she is leaving me her awesome jewelry collection in her will. Most of my friends know I never wanted kyds. I think most of them think I will change my mind but don't bingo. My husband got a whole card of bingos recently from one of his family members. After the whole "you will change your mind-carry on the family name-things just happen" garbage he finally just told them he had The Snip. When they told him it could be reversed, he asked them why on earth would he want to that. I find this hilarious because when we started dating I was CF and he was sitting on the fence. He didn't think he was missing anything by not spawning but was still open to the idea until I said there is no way, no how will I ever have kyds when we got serious. Within a month of our marriage he was going in for a vasectomy and tells me now he is so glad he/me/we didn't have kyds.
April 26, 2014
I have a few family members who are fully supportive of me not wanting children (mainly my mother), which still makes me luckier than most CF people where I originally come from. The rest of my family is very lifescripty, starting with my father (who is coincidentally one of the most selfish people I know, but that's a different story altogether) who started screaming at me the moment I mentioned it for the first time, to my "Moo is God" cousin, who apparently says nasty things about my choice behind my back.
My best friend is also supportive, although she half-jokingly dropped the "but your children would be so pretty and smart" and "you guys should make a sperm'n'egg omelet and I'll raise it as my own" bombs when she realized I was serious. To be fair, she's the only one besides my partner to actively stick with me when I'm being judged by someone for being an eeebil child hater who doesn't fulfill her duty as a womban.

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria
April 26, 2014
Ugh, my Dad was one of the first people to teach me kyds are optional and you should never, ever have them unless you are ready to be a parent and can afford to be a parent. My parents have been married for over 40 years and were good enough parents to know everybody is different. They were also responsible enough to only have the number of kyds they could afford.

Apparently my sister's birth consisted of my father chanting "you never have to do this again, you never have to do this again" followed by my father getting the already scheduled snip the next week. (My sister was planned and so was the vasectomy for right after she was born. My parents are super organized planners about everything. )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login