Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shouldn't my neighbors expect my spawn to be shrieking hellions during the majority of their waking hours? Moo ponders.confused smiley

Posted by stillwaters 
bunny
I know there was an android app that would play a selection of anti-kyd tones. I used to use it in church to torment the brats who would sit in the balcony. I think it was called "anti-kid" or something like that. The nice thing about it was that it would tell you the exact mghz of the tone, so you could look it up elsewhere and find something that you could play. I'm sure if you google around for tones that only children can hear, you'll find it. Then just blast it through the speakers you have. Should be pretty easy.

Although I am generally a 'live and let live' person, I am very interested in quieting the screaming, screaming SCREAMING neighbourhood kids.

I found this:

http://www.appszoom.com/android_applications/tools/anti-kid-repeller_bnfcb.html

I may set up some kind of outdoor speaker for when the screamers start up next summer. (when windows are open and they yell for hours)
Yes! That's the app. The 20 kHz one is the only one I can't hear on that one. I can't hear anything from 14 kHz up.

They also have a other kHz for the mosquito. Between 10 and 22 kHz I believe.
For samples: https://www.youtube.com/user/jholowka87/videos
They even say the ages that should not be able to hear them.

The 14 said up to 49, so my hearing is a little bad, but only by 8 years. I'd probably use the one that hurts people under 24, just to clear out the young hoods that also tend to loiter outside smoking (and sexually harass me when I come and go from my apt.). They look under 24. Honestly, if they made a portable mosquito that would emit the 17kHz loud enough to drive away thugs within 30 feet, I would wear it everywhere I went.

As for the "warning" that it could hurt children under 4... phft. I doubt it would do any damage to them. Even if it did, it would serve them right for being annoying enough for me to have to use it.

I have zero pity for shit like this any more. Since I've got people who, on a regular basis, deliberately and knowingly endanger my life because their perfume/smoke is more important than my ability to breathe, I have zero issue endangering their hearing. (and it's usually the under 24 crowd who do it) If I'm coughing and wheezing, they can get the same migraine their little shits give me when they scream.
Bunny -

About the pot smoke ~

It's funny that you mention that because myself and my friend were just talking about that, ha. I am also trying to get her to sign up here, she thought she had an account already, evidently not, but I will keep working on her lol, we need more CF on here I think. (She does read the board all the time and waves hi :1wv )

Anyway, speaking of new friends / getting along with the neighbors - this is what we're trying to puzzle out here. Because as I was walking down the street earlier - I got a good whiff of skunk weed coming from this house - so now we're trying to figure out how to make friends with this gal, HA grinning smiley

I suppose my point is - OK, let me tell you about our neighborhood - it is mostly single houses, some apt. buildings such as '2 flats' and a few larger ones, it is mostly free standing single houses, buildings. However - everything is quite close together here, it's an urban area. So on the one side of the coin - being in a house - you have quiet. On the other side of the coin - I have to say I was *quite surprised* with how far that smell carried. From the house to the sidewalk. I know (by sight) the woman who lives there and she has waved to me from time to time. Today - I saw her go in the house and the action of shutting the door must've blew the weed smoke out. And WOW was it STRONG!

Yikes. I had no idea smells could carry like that.

Actually though - smells are my one main gripe here - somebody is burning GREEN WOOD in their fireplace! GAAAAAHHHHH!!!! Oddly enough - cig, cigar, weed, incense, candle smells do not bother me. But that GREEN WOOD - OMFG is that acrid and awful smelling! And it burns your throat! I HATE IT! WTF are these people burning??? They have bundles of firewood at Jewel (grocery store) for $5! HELLO! Get that! What the fuck are these people burning? Maybe they are collecting their own in the woods or something. Maybe some musty old rain soaked wild grape vines or some shit. ACK.

Anyway, even us smokers DO understand and try not to bother others. I only smoke (cigs) on my back porch here - and no one has complained yet. Of course my buddy here lives next door and she smokes too so she doesn't care. The people on the other side of me - I rarely see them. No complaints though. But - smells do carry and I try to be careful.

One time, when we lost power in the summer - no AC meant that everyone opened their windows and *the entire neighborhood* REEKED of pot smoke. grinning smiley

Ah, I love living in Hipster Land! smiling smiley And fortunately - it's a slightly older population, the area is not cheap. And - it's virtually SILENT. I never hear ANY noise around here - which is the number one reason I like it here.

So how should we approach this other neighbor? Go walking up with a bong in hand? LOL Yes, I can get my own too, but it's always nice to have more friends. And now that I think of it - I feel like I should maybe warn her ~

I had NO idea the smell was THAT strong! I would not smoke it myself outside or even on the (enclosed) porch here - clearly it carries and is pretty strong. Now I am worried about the cigs and candles too (I do like the scented candles and right now I've got out here - Peppermint, Vanilla, and a green one that I think might be Lilly of the Valley. They're pretty powerful smelling, I do hope the candle smells don't carry too much either. I rarely use my FP nor do I burn outside (that's really not allowed anyway, you could maybe have one of those little fire pits, neighbor friend here does have one) - but we are kind of paranoid of such things too - that the smoke may bother others.

That green wood smoke - GAG!

Wait - I got it! At the cig shop they have 'smoke eater' candles! I'm going to get some and maybe that's how we can 'make friends' with the other neighbor - hey - I have an extra - I thought you might like a little gift. smiling smiley

Anyway - point is - there are two people right here who DO care about others and do not wish to inflict smells upon others. WE do not burn green wood!

Oh and one more thing, speaking of smells - how about these powerful detergents and fabric softeners for the dryer? GAWD! Those I can smell at times too, most people have their equip in their basements here, and vent the dryers at ground level. Needless to say - that carries too. That'll go half a block. Go outside and the air smells like cheap after shave. EWWW! I do hate that, it's too much. Thankfully - on either side of me - they don't use such things. But you can smell it from down the street! That's another BARF! It's too powerful and cloying. I personally would rather smell weed smoke. Not the green wood smoke though. NOTHING tops that. It's just GODAWFUL.

Wait - ONE more - since I'm rambling on here - and this may be helpful for others too ~

BAD STINK LAST YEAR: Coming from across the street. The people got their hedges "fertilized". Which I went and inspected because as soon as I walked out of my house the STINK hit me! I can't even describe it. I could HARDLY BREATHE it was so bad. It was some 'stuff' heaped around their bushes and trees and it. I don't know how to describe this stuff - it wasn't 'manure' - I don't know WHAT it was. It was so horribly powerful smelling that I had to pull my shirt up over my face to be able to breathe. I even knocked on their door, but no one was home. I think they had a landscape crew do it while they were out of town.

The PSA part here - this - SHIT - was so bad that I went so far as to look into it and almost reported it to the EPA! Yes there are laws against weird fertilizers, some of which are made from animal offal and god knows what. Yes there are laws about this and you CAN report it to the EPA and they will take steps against the people using illegal and dangerous fertilizers.

I let it go though. I tend to be 'live and let live' and the smell did die down after a few days. Also - look at me - smoking, burning things, who am I to "stir shit", eh?

(My friend, hanging over my shoulder here started shrieking - THE CHEMICAL SHIT! THE SHIT! I remember that! Her description = gagging and barfing actions. ) It really was GODAWFUL.

So remember that - if you see anyone or landscapers using that type of stuff that stinks really bad - it might be illegal and you *can* report it and have steps taken to remove it. IIRC some of this stuff has shown to be dangerous to breathe. I think it's like a combo of sewage waste, chemicals, and maybe like the refuse from factory farming. And much of it is illegal. If you come upon it - look at your state's EPA site - there are forms and everything on there to make a report. This stuff doesn't even smell like animal poo - it's WAY beyond that! I can't even describe it. It's SO bad you can *barely breathe* around it.

Just a tip for the sensitive of smell. Yes, no one will do anything about green wood smoke or cloying perfumy dryer exhaust - too bad, live with it. But *this stuff* - they sure will!

For anything else - maybe approach in a friendly manner? Bring a little gift? HELLO FRIEND! Here's an extra smoke eater candle I happened to have, for that skunk weed smell. I don't have a problem myself, not at all. In fact - break it out! HA grinning smiley
On the topic of God awful smells....

Perry Ellis 360.

It smells like a tire salon on fire. They should rename it "Eau de Migraine".

Edit to add. Zzelda, if you lived in my neighborhood I'd hook you up like a tow truck. that's just how we roll
bunny
In my current apartment, There is an unwritten agreement between the freak OCD woman upstairs who vacuums at 3-4 am and myself. I don't complain about her vacuuming at 3-4 am and she does not complain about my all-night D&D games.

I do NOT have such a contract with our neighbors with brats. If they piss me off, I will nail them to the wall. I'll call the cops on them in a heartbeat.

The talk of music reminds me of my last apartment though.

We had some pot-addict (seriously, it was so thick it made OUR apartment reek of it) party gang-bangers with loud music and screaming all night. I had to be up at 5 am for work the next day, (around the time they passed out). So I put my speakers against our shared wall and turned my bagpipe music up ALL THE WAY.

Metal and Bass can offend/annoy... but Bagpipes will make hung-over stoners crap their pants at 5 am.

I left it on a loop and went to work.

When I got home, they had complained to the apartment complex, who told them to go fuck themselves. It was a weeknight and EVERYONE had complained about them (I had also called the cops, who didn't do much.) and wanted them kicked out. Nobody ELSE had complained about the bagpipes (because they were probably ALSO at work) and during working hours, they had no right to complain about noise.

If our breeder neighbors start causing problems, I'll sick the pipes on them. (OR, I'll download a loop of the "mosquito" frequency and play that at full blast to at least drive the brats away.)

Very slow clap!

waving hellolarious at Stoners coping with Bagpipers!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
bunny
If our breeder neighbors start causing problems, I'll sick the pipes on them. (OR, I'll download a loop of the "mosquito" frequency and play that at full blast to at least drive the brats away.)

How? It can't be heard by adults. Only her brats could hear it and they most likely could not identify where it's coming from. All they would know is that every time they start screaming the pain noise starts. These kids are pretty stupid. The best they'd manage to communicate is that a bad noise (the moo can't hear) hurts their head when they start screaming.

I know there was an android app that would play a selection of anti-kyd tones. I used to use it in church to torment the brats who would sit in the balcony. I think it was called "anti-kid" or something like that. The nice thing about it was that it would tell you the exact mghz of the tone, so you could look it up elsewhere and find something that you could play. I'm sure if you google around for tones that only children can hear, you'll find it. Then just blast it through the speakers you have. Should be pretty easy.

I would ask that the mosquito and other anti-kid tones be avoided because it is not only kids who can hear it. I am autistic-spectrum and am very sensitive to noises and believe or not, I can hear that crap. I and other oddballs can be painful collateral damage.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
the noodler

Perry Ellis 360.

Edit to add. Zzelda, if you lived in my neighborhood I'd hook you up like a tow truck. that's just how we roll

You wanna hook ME up it's pot BROWNIES! I can't smoke anything with out coughing my lungs out, damned asthma, but second hand smoke is the bong. (Run from the pun!)

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
bunny
keeper of traken
The only problem with the loop of the mosquito frequency is that moo might cause trouble and accuse you of child abuse. smile rolling left righteyes2

How? It can't be heard by adults. Only her brats could hear it and they most likely could not identify where it's coming from. All they would know is that every time they start screaming the pain noise starts. These kids are pretty stupid. The best they'd manage to communicate is that a bad noise (the moo can't hear) hurts their head when they start screaming.

Good point. Loafley would have to figure out where it's coming from first and hope moo believes them. I topped out at 16khz and even then I had to really focus, even though at 34 I shouldn't be able to hear it.
craftyzits
the noodler

Perry Ellis 360.

You wanna hook ME up it's pot BROWNIES! I can't smoke anything with out coughing my lungs out, damned asthma, but second hand smoke is the bong. (Run from the pun!)

Noodler, I got a hook up, no worries. Do want to make some new 'smoking buddies' though. And - we're going 'legal' here. Or we were ~ Former Governor Quinn did approve medical, anyway - but now we got a Republican for Governor and it seems it's all stalled angry smiley

Yes I did go out and vote and I always vote Democrat, and of course voted for Gov. Quinn because he did partially legalize - come on, smokers! We owe the guy! But he lost the election (by a narrow margin) sad smiley

So we'll see what happens -

Crafty - you're in Cali? Can't you get something? Esp. if you are sick - can't you get it? The oils and things to make your brownies? I thought it was legal there? I know though - that with all the bureaucracy - it is still very difficult.

And IMO it all is so ridiculous because it can be such a boon to the economy! As a biz person - I am also greatly interested in industrial hemp.

The biz community is watching all of this very closely.

Well, I'm drifting the topic here - but then again - it's related. Because when MJ is regulated - hopefully it will keep it out of annoying teens hands.

But then what will they go for? And the present black market sales people? What will they sell then? Coke? Pills? The sellers will turn to something else and the bored teens will turn to something else too ~

And if it's coke - GAWD HELP US! Then they'll really be cranking up their tunes and acting like feral monkeys on crack! On crack - LITERALLY!

It's another angle to muse on.

Back on med things - Crafty - I want you to have whatever works for you! I am in favor. Now me - I'm going to have to have alot of dental work done - soon.

And I sure as shit hope that when that occurs - I don't come home to a whole lotta noise! You know how it goes with Murphy's Law. They won't give you any good drugs, either. Vicodin? Pfffft. That doesn't do shit. Literally doesn't do shit because it makes you constipated. I may as well save the money on the scrip and just get store brand Ibuprofen. You can't even get a good buzz from it. Weak crap. I cannot believe anyone gets addicted to it. Pffft. Please. I wouldn't even waste my money to fill a Vicodin scrip.

Dental wise, I got some bad issues happening here and IMO I'm going to need far stronger. Dilaudid. Four. Break out the good stuff! Because if I happen to hear any kids playing bball in the alley, or even the slightest of "Quiet Fussing" in a store - after coming home from the Dentist - I might kill somebody. It's for The Public Good! Ha. I'm not kidding though, I'm into oral surgery range here and once that happens I will be as short tempered as a rabid weasel. I have even contemplated trying to buy street H for this - such is what you're driven to with the present state of US health care.

I don't want that shit, either. They don't call it Garbage for nothing. Oh how I wish I was in Israel with public health care as well as easy to find smokable Opium! OH HELL YES!

Sigh.

I hear ya, Crafty, anyway, and I hope you can get any meds that you do need. I'm in a sim spot with the complex teeth issues I am facing. As well as having been very sick myself a few years ago. And the US health care 'system' is a nightmare. And a joke.

And woe to any obnoxious brat that crosses my path when my teeth hurt. Or after a Dentist visit when they have drilled into my head 50 ways to Sunday and only gave me weak ass drugs that don't do shit. I come home and hear noise? I will go NUCLEAR on your ass!!!

Parents say - oh, kids will be kids! Or, when they need quiet - oh, Pwecious is sleeping! Yeah - SURPRISE! We need our quiet times TOO!

Oh I can't wait for all this upcoming dental work! In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic. Wait and see what an asshole I become! - You all will be sure to hear about it! grinning smiley We shall see if Z can stop herself from going nuclear on some ass! <-- It's like an upcoming TV preview, HA!
When you play those high-pitched noises, you're taking a gamble that the adult won't hear them. Hearing degrades at different rates for different people, so when they say people above X can't hear it, they mean most people above X. There will be outliers.

I'm one of them, and I find those noises fucking painful. It's probably part of why I find children's voices so horrific.
yurble
When you play those high-pitched noises, you're taking a gamble that the adult won't hear them. Hearing degrades at different rates for different people, so when they say people above X can't hear it, they mean most people above X. There will be outliers.

I'm one of them, and I find those noises fucking painful. It's probably part of why I find children's voices so horrific.

This is what I'm concerned about. I have a lil' back patio area that I want to turn into a relaxing escape (especially want to get a hanging swing chair for back there) but this complex is so over-run with brats. They are constantly out shrieking and running around whenever the weather is halfway decent. I was toying with the idea of getting a mosquito set-up for the patio to clear them out of the back and make them go back to the fucking play area out front (or, The Gates of Hell, as I like to refer to it), but I'd hate to bother innocent people who just happen to be sensitive to noise. I'm extremely sensitive to smells and I hate perfumes and cigarette smoke, so I know how frustrating it is.

I was wondering if anyone has tried "noise cancelling" tones on their ipod. Do they work? I don't have the money to shell out for $300 Bose headphones, but I can swing a good pair of blocking ear buds and a iTunes download.
yurble

Between the noises their brats make and the noise they themselves make, I doubt they have much hearing left, and even if they do hear it, I doubt they could trace it to me personally. Even the ranges of this thing I can hear don't sound like something anyone would be deliberately "playing". It sounds like something that is unintentional. They could come to the door and ask what the noise is "What noise?" but by the time the apt folks got involved it could "just stop". Unless I have something they can visually see and everyone can hear, they can't prove I'm doing anything.
stillwaters
t I'd hate to bother innocent people who just happen to be sensitive to noise. I'm extremely sensitive to smells and I hate perfumes and cigarette smoke, so I know how frustrating it is.

If the smokers and breeders had any consideration for me, I'd have a concern. As none of them do, I don't feel like I should have to either. It's not like the sound will travel so far that it will effect innocent ears elsewhere. If someone is that sensitive to noise, you can bet the screaming and wub-wub music has already either driven them away from the complex or made them so miserable that the mosquito (if they could hear it) would be hardly as bad.
bunny
keeper of traken
The only problem with the loop of the mosquito frequency is that moo might cause trouble and accuse you of child abuse. smile rolling left righteyes2

Sorry to be a party pooper, but some people well into adulthood can hear those damn high pitched things. I am one of them. I would be all over a neighbor using one of those.
I think management complaints is the way to go as well as documentation. If you let loose with noise and live in the same complex, you are in violation as well and risk being evicted.
evilchildlessbitch
I think management complaints is the way to go as well as documentation. If you let loose with noise and live in the same complex, you are in violation as well and risk being evicted.

In my experience, everyone, including property management are so breeder-centric that you are expected to tolerate kid noise no matter the volume, frequency or duration.

If the perfectly legal option of kid deterrents such as 'The Mosquito'(or similar alternatives) are not to be used, I would appreciate reasonable suggestions on how to deter the little noise-makers.
Knock on the door and tell her they are disturbing you EVERY SINGLE TIME. It may just be apartment living isn't for you. There is always going be some noise. My other recommendation is a one story duplex or fourplex. I lived in apartments for over 10 years so I understand. On the other hand, there were times I had to do laundry and clean house at 4 AM because of my work schedule. Maybe asked to be moved to another unit? I don't mean to be discouraging but even in my house my husband can hear me walking upstairs. Maybe move out to the country where rental homes are cheaper?
evilchildlessbitch
Knock on the door and tell her they are disturbing you EVERY SINGLE TIME. It may just be apartment living isn't for you. There is always going be some noise. My other recommendation is a one story duplex or fourplex. I lived in apartments for over 10 years so I understand. On the other hand, there were times I had to do laundry and clean house at 4 AM because of my work schedule. Maybe asked to be moved to another unit? I don't mean to be discouraging but even in my house my husband can hear me walking upstairs. Maybe move out to the country where rental homes are cheaper?

I have moved to a single detached house in a subdivision in a small rural village.

The children scream like they are being gutted alive for hours while bouncing on trampolines, playing street hockey and riding bikes.
I agree with Cassia. If you don't like the mosquito idea, give me a more viable one that will actually work.

IF an adult in range can hear, identify, follow and complain about the mosquito, fine. I seriously doubt that will happen. Even if it were to happen, I seriously doubt anything more than "please turn it off" would happen.

Nobody here would actually know what the mosquito is or what it's aim is, so they'd have no clue. Mosquito is a hard item to find info on and you have to actually be looking for "sounds only children can hear" or "anti-kid" which no breeder/thug is bright enough to figure out.

If someone HERE comes knocking on my door and complaining about the noise, I'll apologize.
I have no use for loud breeders but in all honesty, if somebody wants total silence 24/7 they need 20 acres in the middle of no-where. As far as disturbing noise, my advice is the same. Bug the breeder every single time. I'm no breeder pleaser but expecting total silence of nearby neighbors is kind of unreasonable.
Nobody expects "total silence".

What I expect is civility.
What I expect is not having screaming brats bashing on my walls, windows and cars.
What I expect is not having people smoke where I have to be to get to my apartment and leave butts on MY doorstep.

You know... simple shit.
No one should have their personal noise, with rare exception (purposeful home improvement construction) intrude on another person's peaceful enjoyment of their home.

My current home was chosen to facilitate quiet and is a single house with about 25-40 feet (or more) of yard in every direction and a large very quiet park attached to my backyard.

Any neighbour has to be insanely loud on their property or public space to have their noise penetrate to my property, especially with windows closed.

No other type of neighbour noise is generally tolerated by management, neighbours, etc **except kid noise**.
Kids always get a pass no matter the amount of noise, duration or reason.

I can't believe in a child-free discussion forum that I have to continue to point out that kid-only loud noise is being allowed while all other loud noise is penalized and that is a problem.
Here, here, Cassia!

The brat noise is universally excused, not only in apartments but also everywhere else. It's got to stop.
evilchildlessbitch
I have no use for loud breeders but in all honesty, if somebody wants total silence 24/7 they need 20 acres in the middle of no-where. As far as disturbing noise, my advice is the same. Bug the breeder every single time. I'm no breeder pleaser but expecting total silence of nearby neighbors is kind of unreasonable.

We live in a townhouse right now, but my husband and I are saving up for a house. We have to live close to where he works, so it isn't reasonable to move to the middle of nowhere. I have actually spoken with the manager about the noise issue coming from upstairs, yet the breeders quiet down for a little while, and then start back up again.

It's a thing now. If kyds are the problem, the CF person is told to change their life to accommodate the breeders. Don't like loud noise in your favorite restaurant? Don't go to that restaurant. Don't like the shrieking and screaming and stomping where you live? Move to the middle of nowhere, CF. Don't like breeders knocking you off the sidewalk in the city with their SUV strollers? Don't go to the city to do your shopping. It always falls on the shoulders of the person who isn't responsible for causing the problem in the first place.
Exactly Mo6B! I'm sick of being told that I should just tolerate this kind of behavior!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login