Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Parunts supporting their young adult brats now normal

Posted by freya 
Parunts supporting their young adult brats now normal
September 21, 2022
This is a great cautionary tale but is nothing new. Parunts can expect to support their brats up until their mid-twenties in most instances. Another great reason not to overpopulate the earth.

Article quote
Our kids now face monthly rent payments that can be more than 50 percent of their take-home pay.

This isn't anything new and many people live this way for most or all of their lives. It is definitely common in younger people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/let-adult-children-fend-for-themselves-that-s-outdated-in-today-s-economy/ar-AA123kWg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9442b79917f3475ba0d2822b0a6f09b9
Re: Parunts supporting their young adult brats now normal
September 22, 2022
Do young adults today not have roommates? Or is it now like, well I can't afford to live the way I want all by myself in my own apartment/house, so (throws up hands) I guess I'll just live with my parents forever. I lived in some dumps in my 20's but that is what I had to do to get ahead.

Soon enough, they will age out and be on their own. But having gap years between you carrying them and their paying all of their health-care costs can make the difference in them amassing a significant amount of money in an emergency fund and retirement account.

Do we really think that that's going to be what happens with the money they're supposedly saving while living at home? Come on.
September 22, 2022
freya
This is a great cautionary tale but is nothing new. Parunts can expect to support their brats up until their mid-twenties in most instances. Another great reason not to overpopulate the earth.

Article quote
Our kids now face monthly rent payments that can be more than 50 percent of their take-home pay.

This isn't anything new and many people live this way for most or all of their lives. It is definitely common in younger people.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/let-adult-children-fend-for-themselves-that-s-outdated-in-today-s-economy/ar-AA123kWg?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9442b79917f3475ba0d2822b0a6f09b9
That 50% business for rent was true in the 1980s too.
September 22, 2022
I think the article is saying the Parunts can't afford emergency funds and retirement when they are taking care of adult children/

I understand what they've been saying about ecomony. But, I'm with ya, they seem to be like if "I cant have a full house of at least IKEA furniture by myself in the trendiest area of town, I dont want it" No milkcrates furniture for them like young adults did during other inflation and recessions. They dont have roommates becuz they don't have many real life friends. Answering an ad for a roommate would 'creep' them out.

Many of my pal's are dealing w/ these adults and there's no end in sight. I could tell ya a million stories. But they all have a pretty darn good phone, and laptop and camera, and microphone and whatever else they need to game on discord and twitch. They have the clothes they want. The have the concerts they want and their exotic ethnic food nights out all the time(to prove they think about other cultures). None of them have jobs in their majors even w/ a Masters degree. Is it becuz they can't get a job in their major? Possible, but from what I could tell, they dont seem to look in their majors, just want an ez job to cover 'adolescent' needs of pocket money to go out.

But I said it before, why would they leave, their parents act like friends, and granted they are adults even pushing 30, but I couldnt spend my pocket money and live for free, and have overnight guests of the opposite sex if I lived in my parents' basement. They can do all of this, be an adult w/o the adult responsibilities. I'm waiting for my pals to either keel over of a heart attack or join a retirement community before these adults get out of the basements.
September 22, 2022
Ketchup
Do young adults today not have roommates? Or is it now like, well I can't afford to live the way I want all by myself in my own apartment/house, so (throws up hands) I guess I'll just live with my parents forever. I lived in some dumps in my 20's but that is what I had to do to get ahead.

Roommates are not sufficient to help pay rent in most apartments in the USA, unless you want to live in the ghetto in a three sided shack without electricity and running water. I've three roommates, and we pay a total of $1200 for our subsidized home, but for most homes in this area, the rent for a four bedroom dwelling is at minimum $2000 per month. A two-bedroom apartment is at minimum $1500. Two roommates making $12.80 an hour couldn't rent that.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
September 23, 2022
I'm gonna wager that a lot of these adults don't have roommates for one of two reasons: they don't work (which might be due to actual difficulty finding a job or just special snowflakitis), or they have such a collection of real and/or imagined mental disorders that living with someone else and learning how to make compromises as a roommate is too triggering for them (or nobody wants to room with a grown-ass flaptard).

It seems to be the needle in a haystack now for an adult to actually leave home and become independent, but it doesn't help that it's becoming harder and harder to even live with roommates. Rent is sky-high even for total shitholes, everything costs more, more people are fucked in the head and may be too dangerous to live with, and jobs don't pay nearly enough. But parents also make it very comfortable for their adult children to live home indefinitely, starting in childhood giving them whatever they want and never expecting them to do anything. Then they wonder why their 39-year-old bouncing baby boy won't get a job. Well why would he? He's comfortable and has all his needs met.

A vast majority of people I know in their 20s and 30s still live at home, myself included. It's not by choice or due to financial irresponsibility - I just can't afford to live on my own and pay my student loans, and this is the case for several of the folks I know in the same boat. I keep hoping this student debt relief extends to private debt so I can have my own place, because I could swing it on my income. I just can't with $560 a month immediately going to those cocksuckers at Navient.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login