Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I fixed those headlines for you

Posted by yurble 
I fixed those headlines for you
September 26, 2014
I was amused to notice that someone in the mainstream finally noticed that 'news' sites give undue weight to a woman's parental status when it is absolutely irrelevant to the topic at hand (article). However, the author clearly hasn't been observing as closely as the CF because she thinks it's about sexism and only women get this kind of treatment. Women do get this kind of treatment more than men, but there are absolutely headlines involving men's parental status when the man in question isn't famous for anything. It's natalism as much as sexism.

Look for the moron in the peanut gallery making a comment about how this serves to humanize people and make them more likeable.
Re: I fixed those headlines for you
September 26, 2014
She is missing the boat for sure. It's not just a female thing; it's that non-parents aren't treated equally to parents in the press and we've seen where moms are given preferential treatment in the press and the judicial system. Furthermore, children trump all, as seen by headlines about dead children, and one reads the story and discovers adults died too but they don't deign a mention or even a count in the headlines.

We've covered some of the topics here, more in-depth than this blogger. And I know we have a lot of sticky topics but maybe we need another one whose title could be: If you are CF, in the press you aren't shit, or something like that.

Examples:

'Child's Body Found In Suitcase;' read the story and three adults are dead too

Parental status mentioned in headlines

women who die are Mawms; women who kill are wives

Press reports "missing mom," thought to be in Turkey. After the facts come out: she's dead and she was there to have sex with men she met on the web, the headlines read "missing wife" or "woman"

The last example is in link #2 also, but I put it here for clarity. The woman who went to turkey was identified as a Mawm front and center within the story but not in the headline.
Anonymous User
Re: I fixed those headlines for you
September 26, 2014
Everyone is a MOM or a DAD or a grandMOM, if they are a victim. They could be a total loser who had kid at 15 and they are still a MOM. Like grandmother gets 1.5 mil because punched by cop yesterday in the news. Um....this isnt a little ol' lady from Pasadena, this is probably a 45 y.o. woman fighting w/ the cops during the arrest (sorry I didnt read the article if Im wrong)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login