Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Child put ahead of adults on the transplant list receives 2nd set of lungs.

Posted by Anonymous User 
Best case scenario would be the second set failing and the kid finally resting in peace. Everybody throws their hands up in the air and admits this was a monumental fuck up, and they then agree that in future it's best to stick to the guidelines and not fuck around like this.

Roy: Linda just had a baby? Wow, well you'd never know.
Moss: Ugggggggggh.
Roy: What?
Moss: Too much information!
Jen: What, that she had a baby?
Moss: Ugggggggggggggggggggh! Come on!
Jen: Moss, it's a natural part of life.
Moss: It's not a natural part of my life. And I aim to keep it that way.
Could you imagine being bumped for this and know the lungs you were going to get have been wasted? Fucking hell, shit like this makes me so angry. These fucking kids have their own damn list for a reason and I hope to hell that this kid dies so adult lungs will not be wasted on this.
Article Comment
I was all set to cry 'foul' like most everyone else posting today. This girl's parents sued to get her onto a list to get a set of adult lungs and then got not one, but two sets. I was all set to agree that if she didn't qualify for the list due to her age, she shouldn't have been given any lungs. I was all set to agree that after the first set failed, she should not have been given a second set. Yep, I was all set to agree with you. But then my 10 year old daughter walked into the room and I knew that like them, I would have begged, pleaded, sued, whatever it took to keep her alive.

Fucking hell. This right here is what is so fucking morally wrong with the world. "I know it's wrong - but I'd do it anyway!" Well, fuck you. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the common decency of society. It is obscene that this kid was allowed to knock someone down on the list because her mother wouldn't stop bloviating about it. This new parenting attitude that it's acceptable - even admirable - to knock everyone else to the ground in the name of YOUR KID is disgusting, piggish and repugnant.

I guess it would be difficult to watch your child suffer. I know I would rather endure any pain that have to watch a loved one suffer it instead. But sometimes we don't get a fucking choice. And it's only pure selfishness that these "mama bears" plow to the front of the line and take what should have gone to someone else first. They don't want to watch their kid suffer, they don't want their kid to die, and they don't want to have to mourn it when it's gone. They do it all in the name of their kid, but it's their own damn pain they're saving themselves from.
I have never met a breeder with an ounce of sense. I truly have heard it all. I was in shock when I read the update to this thread.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole. In my experience most of them are trash, no matter whether they publicly subscribe to this or that ethical doctrine or to none at all."
~Sigmund Freud
Wait a minute. This kid got MOAR LUNGS? And was bumped up AGAIN?

They won't even let you use cripples to cut in line at Disney anymore. What. The. Fuck?

I am not an organ donor, I too am paranoid about it. You go into the hospital with a sprained ankle, they might start ripping parts off of you.

So, I'm paranoid. Too bad.

IMO my parts are shot, anyway. I have been exposed to alot of highly toxic chemicals. And, I smoke.

Which is a weird idea I had -

I had Asthma and Allergy issues as a child. Fairly *bad*. I took up smoking - cleared it right up. Huh. I know of umpteen many people who have said the exact same thing. Lots of people who smoke - have allergies. Of course this is not the same as Cystic Fibrosis - but - isn't one issue with that - that their lungs get clogged with mucus and they can't expel it? There might be some relative issues here.

There are now some actual medical studies that are looking into these things ~

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Smoking-Prevents-Allergies-112051.shtml

Get your Wheezer a pack o'smokes. Go hog wild nuts and invest in a bong.
(Smart cracks aside - Medical Marijuana might figure into this too. Might be a life saver. It does have many medical uses.)

Hey - it *might work*. I don't know about hard core diseases of the respiratory system - but it has been shown that smoking cuts down some issues. Go figure.

Might be worth looking into, research wise. As some (above link) are already doing.
Even if we set aside our collective anger at the gross unfairness of this whole thing, don't think about the two people over age 12 on the waiting list who didn't get lungs because of this case, and try to ignore all the different emotions in the equation, we are still left with a very real fact and that is; It is very difficult to begin to believe this child is in ANY kind of decent physical shape medically to be getting a second set of lungs this soon after the first transplant failed! Are doctors too afraid now of getting sued by Mama-Moo-Bear or of being vilified in the press to do their JOB and say, "Look lady, your child has been suffering with the devastating effects of a terminal illness for over a year, her little body is weak and she's barely alive, the failed transplant only made her weaker and more susceptible to infection and rejection of any additional lungs, and she simply is no longer a viable candidate for a fucking-nother double lung transplant! If she doesn't die on the operating table then she likely will soon after and you are just prolonging her suffering and agony!!":headbrick

Has anyone even bothered to ask this girl what she wants to do? Has anyone explained to her what is going on? I doubt it. They are probably just giving her false hope the doctors will, "... make her all better" and shielding her from the truth. I think ten is old enough to be told the truth, at least it would have been for me when I was that age! I don't know what would be worse for that child, to die or to actually survive this and later learn that possibly TWO people DIED so she could live! That is a huge burden which would be difficult for anyone to carry and you can bet your ass she WILL eventually find out about all of this and her response might NOT be, "Thanks mom!". My uncle, who survived in Vietnam because two of his fellow soldiers literally sacrificed themselves so their comrades could live, STILL carries survivor's guilt and their sacrfice was voluntary and he was an adult! No one has given it a second thought as to how all of this might affect a young girl emotionally should by some slim chance she recover. The most merciful thing right now would for her family to be at her side, she be given palliative care, and to allow her to die in peace.shrug

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
I don't hate your kids, I HATE YOU!
Spectacular, there go two sets of lungs that could have been used by people who have more than a shred of a chance of recovering. Man, I bet if this was before the advent of advanced forensics, people would just go out and murder someone for their organs. I'm amazed Moomie hasn't fostered a kid just so it can have an "unfortunate accident" and her bio child will just so happen to get the foster kid's lungs.

Gods forbid, but let's say this does set a precedent. What happens when more than one child needs a certain organ? Which chyld is more speshul and more deserving of the lungs or kidney or what not? How will doctors determine who gets the organ when both famblees feel their widdle darling needs it more? Meanwhile, as all these adult organs get cut into child-size pieces, ADULTS who need the organs to live will not receive them, and someone who may have a spouse, pets, maybe even kids at home will have to die. For a moment, I will play the breeder card: In order for someone's child to maybe possibly live with transplanted organs, someone else might have to leave their kids without a mother or a father because they died while waiting. Because breeders were too busy fighting over adult organs for their bastards rather than hoping for someone else's snookums to die like people have been doing for years.

Obviously I don't feel the life of a child or a breeder is more important than an adult or a single or childfree person. But just goes to show that a greedy breeder like this kid's parents don't care how their selfishness will affect other people who could actually USE those organs.

I don't know exactly how transplants work. If one organ is rejected, is it given to someone else or just thrown away?
After all the rules and ethics that they broke in order to jump this chyld to the head of the adult list, they are going to do everything in their power to keep her alive. If she dies, then they lose the ability to argue that all other chyldren should be jumped ahead of every adult.

They can't admit the transplant was a failure and that the adults lungs were not an appropriate fit for her.

Notice, they do not say whether the new lungs came from an adult or a chyld. Wanna bet it was from a chyld and that's why she's doing and adapting better? They will never admit that though, because then they'll have to admit they forced their way onto a list that she didn't belong on, and wasted a pair of adult lungs on a chyld who couldn't use them, while an adult got screwed over.
paragon schnitzophonic
It's horrible to say, but I hope the transplant continues to fail. Because that's the only way this precedent will not set the standard for similar cases. Now that they've given this girl TWO sets of lungs that will still lead to her early death that could have gone to TWO otherwise healthy people that could have made a complete recovery, if the second set fails and the girl dies, that will be put into consideration the next time a breeder decides that her Cznøphlaîque deserves to be put at the top of the donor list.

Two sets of lungs wasted in a world where organs are in shortage will hopefully make medical officials and judges think before emotionally reacting.

And my own emotional reaction that it would be karma for this mother, who insisted on creating a child with cystic fibrosis and deciding that her kid who is going to die early no matter what is more important, has all this blow up in her face spectacularly.

I don't know if her dying with two wasted lungs would make a difference, breeders have their heads so far up their own asses. The next snewfleeke will be different.

The moo rubs me the wrong way, you can see the smug. But then again it has been confirmed in her mind that she and her famblee are superior and more important than anyone else, at least anyone on the lung donor list. And she outsmarted everyone just by mooing and lowing.

Perhaps a scientist can create a new set of matching lungs from the Moo's blubber.

------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- ------- -------
If YOU are the "exception" to what I am saying, then why does my commentary bother you so much?
unicorn
Best case scenario would be the second set failing and the kid finally resting in peace. Everybody throws their hands up in the air and admits this was a monumental fuck up, and they then agree that in future it's best to stick to the guidelines and not fuck around like this.
More then likely they will. Second sets have only a 50% chance of surviving 1-3 years (compared to a lot higher chance for the first set) with many dying in the 30 days after transplantation. Also females seem to have the worst cases of Cystic Fibrosis over that of males.

Along with these, another compounding issue with CF is the lung issues aren't the only things that kills them. Often the liver is a big secondary issue next to the lungs.

More then likely (barring some remote chance) this little girl is not going to live very long. She has so much stacked against her that the odds are likely she'll be dead long before her next birthday.
This new revelation about the second set of lungs pisses me off on so many levels.

The girl is already in an advanced stage of CF and is not expected to reach adulthood, no matter how many sets of donated lungs she gets. Each set will fill with phlegm and will have to be replaced sooner rather than later. She will never be a productive citizen.

Now, when you get a chance, google the Todd Krampitz case in Texas. He was diagnosed with advanced liver cancer at age 32 two months after getting married in 2004. He became so ill that he was low on the transplant list, but there was a way around the wait then, by receiving a liver explicitly given to him by the donor's family. What he did next made national headlines and ignited a bioethical firestorm that has repercussions even today: he bought a billboard to solicit a liver donation.

He got the liver in late 2004 a week after the billboard message appeared after a donor family directed that he get their loved one's liver. He seemed to recover and was able (for example) to drive a car again, but suddenly sickened and died in mid–2005. In the meantime, organ donation organization UNOS issued a directive to hospitals that did transplants not to do them for people who did what Todd did to get an organ. And people since who used publicity to get one and, in effect, jump the queue have indeed been turned down for the transplant at some hospitals because of the UNOS request.

So how is this girl's parents going to the media any different from what Todd did? It's attention whoring to get sympathy to jump the queue and receive organs that otherwise would not go to them. Similar cases we've discussed here include the retarded girl some months back and the autard man in his early 20s who needed a new heart but could only play video games (disabled, could never work). Why is UNOS not issuing more directives to prevent hospitals from giving transplants to these people, too, as it did after Todd's case?

What pisses me off the most? I'm a productive citizen. I work, pay taxes, and play a vital role in my employer's local operation. But I'm obese (have been all my life) and take maintenance meds for blood pressure, and on either ground alone I would be told I'm ineligible to receive an organ transplant should I need one. The morbidly obese, no matter how sick, are routinely turned down and are told by sanctimonious doctors to "lose weight"—even though recent studies show that the obese don't necessarily have worse outcomes after transplant surgery. Attention whoring wouldn't get me an organ either. I'm not a sympathetic nor attractive enough person for the media to give a shit. Yet these children get organs after pulling these stunts, and most of them will never work, pay taxes, etc.

But the ghouls will be more than happy to grab K-Man's organs once he's dead. Well, fuck 'em; I've fixed that. I'm not an organ donor, and my directions to everyone in my family explicitly state that my organs are not going to be donated. There is too much of an organs black market anyway. So screw 'em: I'm keeping mine after I'm dead. And cases like this one in this thread are part of the reason.
So they're content to let two pairs of adult lungs go to waste on the little weasel? For fuck's sake, just stick a pair of bellows in there and be done with it. thumbs updown

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

Thought you might find this interesting.

Ethicists question giving girl second lung
transplant

m.usatoday.com/article/news/2477699

Sorry it's a mobile link, when I tried changing it to www the link was no longer recognized.

Roy: Linda just had a baby? Wow, well you'd never know.
Moss: Ugggggggggh.
Roy: What?
Moss: Too much information!
Jen: What, that she had a baby?
Moss: Ugggggggggggggggggggh! Come on!
Jen: Moss, it's a natural part of life.
Moss: It's not a natural part of my life. And I aim to keep it that way.
So glad that I have tattoos and cannot be an organ donor with this shi going on. However, I am not above buying an organ from some third world country if I had to go that route even if its origins are extremely sketchy. At least in that route the hypocricsy and unethical nature of the system would be vrery self evident.
So, she STILL can't breathe on her own. It's not looking good for that girl NOR are things looking too rosy for the two people on the 12 and over waiting list who won't be getting either sets of the wasted lungs. As if all of that wasn't enough, the poor girl is having anxiety attacks and God only knows how much she's suffering because of the very real fear she will suffocate since she still can't breathe on her own.the world 'fail' on flames

mistress rotwang
So glad that I have tattoos and cannot be an organ donor with this shi going on.

If you have tattoos they don't want your organs? I'd be safe then. I'm not a donor and don't want to be, and don't want some self-righteous asshole trying to harvest them after I'm dead.
@dimcarcosa, yeah because apparently people with tattoos have aids or hepatitis or something...
Re: Yet ANOTHER Case of "Screw the Grown Ups - Save the CHILDREN!"
July 02, 2013
kidlesskim
cassia
One other aspect of the ethical and practical issues that this article never addressed was that most breeders do not donate body parts of their deceased children.
THAT is why there are not quantities of readily available lungs for children such as these.

That is an excellent point!thumbs upwink

RARE are the parents who are selfless enough to even be approachable about donating their dying or recently deceased child's organs. On the flip side of that coin though are the groups of parents of babies born with Anencephaly (most or all of it's brain missing) a few years ago who were denied the opportunity to donate their babies' organs. Most all of those babies will die within 30 days, if they even survive for several hours after birth it's unusual, but organ donation laws say the child has to be at least 30 days old to be a donor AND "brain dead", which poses a problem because, 1)Some of them have no brain, so it can't be brain dead, or 2) They have a functioning rudimentary brain stem which is generally accepted as "brain" activity. I think this is TOTAL horse shit! Countless healthy organs are wasted due to these woefully outdated and religious based ridiculous "laws":BS

SO, we have selfish parents of otherwise healthy kids who were killed in accidents who won't even consider organ donation and quite a few others with brainless babies who WANT to donate to give their baby's short life meaning and to help other children who have a chance at a normal life. While there may be other factors involved, I'd say the likely culprit of this type of nonsense is based in religious fundamentalists', "pro life" stances. The problem of organ donation could be "cured" in a day by cloning organs involving stem cells and/or stem cell research IF all the uber religious fucks would step back and stop making the asinine assertion that cloning is "killing babies" or sacrilicious or WHAT ever.the world 'fail' on flames

I know of a whole ONE case where the child was a donor. An 11 year old in WV told her parents that she wanted to be an organ donor if something should happen to her. Her parents told her that when she was old enough, she can request this.

One morning a couple months shy of her 13th birthday she woke with a bad headache and stayed home from school. She fell asleep and never woke up. An arteriovenous malformation that no one knew existed had ruptured and she suffered a massive brain hemorrhage. Doctors worked on her, but she suffered a major stroke which left her brain dead.

Her mother had forgotten about the donation request, but her father remembered. Their selflessness meant that four adults, ranging from 18 to 56 in age, would get a second chance at life.

Sadly, this is the exception rather than the rule.

I dont know if I can donate, even though I have it on my license...I am banned for life from blood donation due to living in Europe during the mad cow scare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Goddamn that moo’s voice is irritating! She sounds like she’s got a huge ball of phlegm in her throat. Makes me wanna reach through the computer and throttle her. That, and the fact she’s a selfish hog who couldn’t give two shits about her own kid’s well-being, emotional or otherwise. All she cares about is all that media attention she’s getting. Reminds me of another media moo. Anybody remember Kathy Bush? She was a moocunt who intentionally made her own daughter sick as a way of getting attention. Her idiot husband and two golden penis children still think she’s innocent.
Now that I know people with tattoos can't be stripped of their organs I'll be getting more.
satansbitch
Now that I know people with tattoos can't be stripped of their organs I'll be getting more.

I think it is a year or two after the last tattoo has healed. But most people think that it is no matter when the person had the tattoo.
In my plasma donation days, the rule at the facility was that those who had just received a tattoo had to wait a year before giving again. They were deferred until then.

During one visit I recall a young woman, a regular donor, sporting a fresh tattoo and finding out the hard way about this rule. She wasn't happy. Had to wonder if her plasma money had paid for that tattoo...

I would figure that the waiting period after a tattoo before being able to donate organs would be similar. However, some restrictions on donation have been loosened to make available more organs, so maybe that waiting period has changed as well. As an example of such loosening, this girl's second set of lungs was infected with pneumonia when she got it, according to some reports.
http://www.philly.com/philly/health/20130702_Five_grave_problems_reduce_Sarah_s_survival_chances.html

Sarah, who has cystic fibrosis, has experienced at least five grave problems that reduce her chance of being alive in a year to well below 50 percent, research shows. And however long she lives, she is likely to face frequent hospitalizations for complications of the transplant surgeries, for her genetic disease, and for the suppression of her immune system to prevent organ rejection.

"Trying to do a second transplant moves this from the realm of therapy into experimentation," said Arthur Caplan, a prominent bioethicist at New York University Langone Medical Center. "You're moving into unknown territory." The parents' desperation is understandable, Caplan said. "Any parent would find it difficult to do nothing when something is offered and the alternative is death. You feel like you have to try whatever you can, even if it's leading to a course that could cause a lot of suffering and misery prior to death. It's really up to the doctors to say: 'Have we reached a point of futility in which we are prolonging her dying?' "

The study, in the Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery in 2009, suggested that because organs "remain critically scarce," transplanting extremely high-risk patients may not be prudent. Doing such transplants "challenges the goals of equitable organ allocation," the study concluded, suggesting that the highest-risk patients should be lower on the transplant waiting list.
I feel so bad for that kid. I really do. But her parunts are SCUM!

jbs
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login