Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to deal with child-centric job when you hate kids

Posted by Cambion 
Re: How to deal with child-centric job when you hate kids
November 02, 2015
Cambion, Everything Zzelda said!

I might add that most school districts have a ZERO tolerance policy on alcohol and the job. If you come to school looking a little buzzed, or smell like hooch, you could brought up on charges and fired. They could even charge you with child endangerment or abuse, if you come to school in any way under the influence.

It's just not worth it.
November 02, 2015
Cambion:

Is there any way you can wear either earplugs, or earbuds at work? Would that help?
November 02, 2015
Have you tried lavender tea? I use it from time to time to ease to sleep and it works. The first time I drank it was at work and it relaxed me a little too much, works as more than a mild sedative for me. There may be other natural sedatives you could try as well.
When I work up the nerve to date, I'll have a cup before going on one of those dreaded first dates.
November 02, 2015
I don't know if earplugs or earbuds will work or be good only because I already got bitched out for not being vigilant enough with my ears totally open. Plus, they'd be visible.

Also, I did try lavender tea once and it was disgusting, but I might have used too much lavender. And exercise is not a good stress reliever when I not only hate it, but I'm bad at it. I get winded in about 30 seconds. Pre-thyroid disease, I could go romp around with DDR for 20 minutes if I felt sleepy or out of it and I'd be energized and ready to go. Post-thyroid disease, I used to make myself do it every other day and I felt worse afterward, so I quit doing it altogether. I tried yoga, which is supposed to be fucking relaxing. Yeah, I had to stop the video about 5 minutes in because I was huffing and puffing.

The two real jobs I've had (this one included) have been soul-sucking, but for different reasons. My old telemarketing job was boring as shit, but it was the office manager who made me want to commit homicide. Only one other time in my life have I come so close to actually reaching out and punching someone. That cunt pushed me right to the edge, and if she had just pushed a little harder, I would have beaten her pigged-up ass right into the fucking pavement, damned be the charges.

I'm actually looking forward to winter because of the snow days. Spontaneous day off? Yes please! I don't even care that I won't get paid for those days.
November 02, 2015
Peace
I might add that most school districts have a ZERO tolerance policy on alcohol and the job. If you come to school looking a little buzzed, or smell like hooch, you could brought up on charges and fired. They could even charge you with child endangerment or abuse, if you come to school in any way under the influence.

It's just not worth it.

Duly noted. I've only worked in the private sector. If I didn't self-medicate I'd be an even more insufferable twat, your mileage may vary.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
November 03, 2015
I agree. Weed. And the great thing about it is that some of it actually makes you more creative. I come home totally annoyed at the world have a little smoke and next thing I know I'm doing the dishes and making the bed. No I don't work with children or in a school but I still need to deal with the general public on a daily basis so yeah sometimes I want to kill people.

I also take xanax which is prescribed by my doctor who knows me very well and knows that I do not abuse it. I take a 1.0 at night and that also alleviates my restless legs syndrome. But there are times when I am at work when I am getting the peon beatdown and I cannot function unless I take one. I've been suffering from anxiety attacks pretty much since high school and in college it also got pretty bad. There was one instance when I actually had to leave the classroom because I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Not because of the school work but because of my horrific and nasty roommates.

But xanax is not for everyone. and after long term use the withdrawals can be pretty nasty.

Try to hang in there cambion We are all rooting for you! Well maybe not all of us. Wink wink
November 03, 2015
The condition that causes a swinging TSH level is hashimoto's.
TSH can be normal sometimes, high often (and more often as the disease progresses) and even low sometimes.
There is even a test for it!

How do I know? I'm missing half my thyroid now thanks to surgery, but I studied the fuck out of everything it could have been.
November 03, 2015
Which is why I want to see an endocrinologist, assuming the ones at the local hospital don't suck. The hospital in town is apparently one of the top 100 in the country for their cardiology department, but no clue about the other departments. An OB/GYN has been treating my hyopthyroidism and has been going only by TSH. I do know about Hashimoto's and Graves' diseases, and that they are the actual conditions, while hypothyroidism is merely a side effect of one of those. I just didn't know if those diseases are always the cause of hypothyroidism, or if it can ever just occur all on its own.

From what I understand, I need to do TSH, T3, T4 and a thyroid ultrasound (at the very least) for a starting diagnosis, and then depending on which antibodies are fucked up, I'll have to go with certain medications (like synthetic vs. natural desiccated thyroid). And then there are issues where doctors adhere to outdated lab values or don't believe in T3/T4 and then you have to doctor shop until you find someone who isn't a moron.

I honestly wonder if I could handle weed. I remember my roomies in college would get stoned and while I personally don't have anything against weed, the smoke gave me a splitting headache. I didn't even have time to get second-hand munchies because I had to get the fuck out of there for some air. The pain rivaled sinus infection headaches, which, for me, is pretty fucking painful.

Had a kid come in today that was just... strange. Judging by articulation and height, I'd say he was probably fourth grade. It was at the end of the day and he came in without a teacher or any other students and had absolutely no reason to be in there. He didn't get a book or bring one back. He just came in and started asking me retarded questions.

Kid: (holds up pencil) What's this?

Me: It's a pencil.

Kid: Can I have it?

Me: No, it's the librarian's.

Kid: Oh. (sets pencil down) What are you doing?

Me: Writing an email.

Kid: Why? Is it fun?

Me: It's not not fun. I just need to talk to someone at (other school) really quick.

Kid: Why don't you call them? Do you have a phone? (said while standing right beside the phone)

Me: I don't want to bother them if they're busy.

Me: (clicks mouse)

Kid: What are you doing now?

Me: Still email.

Kid: How long are you here for?

Me: Until 3:30.

I forget the rest. Just... why so many goddamned inane questions? I have never in my life heard a child in a school ask what a pencil is, nor have I ever heard an "older" kid ask so many questions. I expect that crap from the youngest classes. I have to assume this was some free-range awwtard. Finally he left and I could have a little silence while I finished up my end-of-day work. It wasn't bad - just weird.
November 04, 2015
Cambion
And exercise is not a good stress reliever when I not only hate it, but I'm bad at it. I get winded in about 30 seconds. Pre-thyroid disease, I could go romp around with DDR for 20 minutes if I felt sleepy or out of it and I'd be energized and ready to go. Post-thyroid disease, I used to make myself do it every other day and I felt worse afterward, so I quit doing it altogether. I tried yoga, which is supposed to be fucking relaxing. Yeah, I had to stop the video about 5 minutes in because I was huffing and puffing.

IIRC - from your last round of tests - they didn't find anything really wrong with your Thyroid? It could be, I'm not trying to dispute you. But again - why not try to DIY things? And regardless of anything else - you do still have to - work at your own health. There never is ANY 'magic cure' - no pill to pop to 'make it all right'. With ANY issue.

To quote Stevie Nicks - And it all comes down to you - you know that it does ~

I have had many serious health issues - I'm a walking disaster area, I'm accident prone and tend to pick up illnesses. Gotta fix it. I want to try to phrase this all in a way that does not come off as a 'lecture' but as 'positive encouragement'. You CAN 'fix yourself'! You DO have to engage in a healthy lifestyle - everyone does. There are no short cuts nor pills to fix it.

OK - let me tell you what I do - I will just talk about myself and maybe you can pick up some 'tips' ~
Or, just copy what I do and it may help.

I get up at 4 am. 5 or 6 is probably more realistic for most. I drink 1 1/2 cups of coffee. No sugar, light milk. Many people are dairy intolerant and I think I'm one of them. I check my emails and voice mails. I *eat breakfast*. It is *very important* to eat in the AM to get your metabolism going. I'm not big on cooking, I do try, and have been doing more - but not in the AM - I am NOT a "morning person*.

So - I make sure that I have 'easy to eat' things - for the AM. Such as - a piece of toast w/ peanut butter. Try to get some protein in the morn. Or - Instant oatmeal. Or - scramble an egg. This past week - I got a Pumpkin pie and have been eating a slice of this in the AM. With this - take a vitamin. I take vitamins *every day*. My friend got me on this and yeah - I'm a believer now. Be sure to take them with food.

Then I go to work, to the office, where I sit on my ass and be sedentary. But - I do get up and walk around, go outside to smoke (yeah - that's healthy!), and around 10.30, 11 AM I eat a little bit - usually some fruit - and - I've been drinking these "Naked" Veggie drinks which do 'perk you up' - more info here -

http://www.nakedjuice.com/

No, I don't drink the whole bottle - that would be too much IMO, I have about 1/3 of it, with some fruit.

Around about 1 or 2 PM - I might have a bit more to eat - like some salad I brought with me, or some rice cakes, or an apple, etc. And then me and co workers - go take a short walk. If for nothing else than to 'stretch the legs'. We will usually walk about 4 blocks which is a half a mile.

I am usually done with work by - well, it varies, between 4 and 6. When I get home I make a healthy dinner. Like a big salad with a piece of fish or chicken. And yes you can have pasta, potatoes, starches - I might have like a piece of grilled steak with baked potato and green beens. The key here is - LOTS of veggies - keep the meats and the starches to SMALL portions. Both should be no larger than a deck of cards. If you are hungry - fill up on the veggies.

And then - after dinner walk. Or whatever other 'exercise' you may be interested in. Some like to go to the gym. Some may like to go to their Volleyball league. Cleaning your home / doing chores works too.

WATER. ALL DAY LONG! Drink plenty of water to 'flush your system'. Get the toxins out. It fills you up, too. Did you know? - People often mistake thirst for hunger. After Hours / In the evening - yeah, I usually have more work to do. Fun times! I will usually take another walk. Food? Well you ate dinner so what do you need? But - you may get the munchies - again - fruit, veges, rice cakes, popcorn, keep it light and just have a small bit. Desert foods and sweets? Sure! Why not? I may have a small dish of ice cream around say 8, 9 pm. Do not eat alot before bed. I usually go to bed around 10 pm.

If you wake up at night and feel hungry - try drinking water. Or, IMO it might be a blood sugar drop - but just have something light. I often have insomnia / or restless sleep and wake up. And have to pee. It wakes you up. What I do is - I stick to Diet Pops - but I always have another on hand - such as a Orange (or Grape or Strawberry) Crush or Dr. Pepper. Non Diet, the regular kind. I always keep a bottle of one of these in the fridge. And if I wake up and 'want something' - I have a small glass of one of these 'regular pops' and it's 'enough'.

And then it's back up at 4, 5 AM and repeat the process.

I'm 5'10" and weigh 157 lbs. Take a US size 6 -8. I must be doing it right. I'm very big on 'eating healthy'. I do not eat junk food. Fruit, veges, small portions of lean meat and fish, light on the starches. Don't like to cook? Salads. Nuts = protein. Hard boiled egg sliced in the salad for protein. Etc. Be SURE to eat in the AM too - to get the metabolism going. Another tip I read - "The Chinese" stop eating when they're 70% full. Not sure how this was measured but the point being is - do not eat until you are 'stuffed' - when you begin to feel full - stop.

Just eat healthy, take vitamins, do some moderate exercise - it IS do able! I've been doing it for decades. And besides being slim / average sized - I also *look younger than I am*. I take care of myself.

And it goes for all things - you wish someone would help you? Give you an answer? Make things better? GUESS WHAT - SOMEONE CAN! And that someone - is you. Learn how to be "Your own Best Friend"! Everything that you wish for - that someone would do *for you* - YOU do it! Think of the things that you wish people would do - to help you so to say - you can point to this 'help' that you wish you had, right? So then - YOU be that person who helps you! smiling smiley

"Talk to yourself" in positive ways. You probably lecture yourself like your Mom does. And the opposite too - where you say - Screw her, Ima do what I want. Step outside all of that and talk to yourself, think to yourself - what would a Good Friend say? First of all - relax, we'll figure it out. Next, take one step at a time. Also - you're no where near as bad as you think you are. Nor is is your situation. We'll figure it out. Create an "Imaginary Friend" if you have to. And think of - what would YOU say to one you were trying to help and motivate? You can change your 'self talk' - is the point here. YOU are in control of your mind, not others. Our minds are the one thing we CAN control!

And it ALL starts there! How about this - that Rachel Whatever her name is convinced herself *and others* - that she was black. Or how about Donald Trump? He has convinced himself that he's some kind of God and people actually give a shit about him. And oddly enough - many people DO!

You can do the same! You probably wanna keep away from becoming completely delusional though grinning smiley

But 'fixing up' and 'moving forward' - can be EASY in comparison!

Oh and why I recommend 'eating healthy' - it's not just to lose weight - it really does 'cleanse' the body - AND mind. Too much shit in your system does muck you up and drag you down. Look at it this way - there are even now 'gourmet' and more 'healthy' burger joints such as 5 Guys, Portillos - even the shit slingers are trying to make 'better shit' - because you cannot eat crap all the time and people do know this / they don't want the hard core crap.

Go on a 'healthy eating program' - and you will be SHOCKED at how much BETTER you feel. Including - MENTALLY.

Try it - what have you got to lose? And exercise too - and by this I do not mean 'hard core' - trust me, I'm pretty lazy myself and only like FUN things - I would HATE some kind of a boot camp or boring crap at a gym. I like to do outdoor things, go out and walk, play outdoor sport, you have a dog, right? Go walk the dog. Play catch with the dog. Walking on a treadmill is BORING. You don't have to make yourself into a Jock, either. Find fun things to do. Do physical work that needs to be done anyway - like cleaning out a closet - kill two birds with one stone.

And - start eating healthy and consider - I'm at work getting 'free exercise' - I may as well maximize my potential here, it's a start, I can carry on with more later. One step at a time. You don't go from sedentary to an Athlete over night. Nor should you try to - that's not only too much stress, but you will give up quickly because this is not realistic. One step at a time.

You CAN too! Plenty of people have. Oh and another thing - once you 'get in the groove' - you have to give it 2, 3 weeks, a month - after that - you won't WANT junk food! You will WANT the big salad! And you will begin to look forward to some exercise. Telling you - I've been there. And I'm sure plenty of people right here on BF will back me up on this.

I should hit the sack here soon - gotta get up by 5.

Correct Self Talk - Yeah, I need to get to the office by 9 tomorrow. But Thurs and Fri should be light days, I got this, if it's 10 it's no biggie.
WRONG Self Talk - You LOSER! How dare you NOT be in bed by now! You can't do ANYTHING RIGHT, CAN YOU? I am VERY disappointed in you! You'll fail again! You better not fuck up! The hell is WRONG with you? <---- I am making an illustration of how I guess things might go through your mind, and / or how your Mom may berate you. (Like my relatives used to speak to me). And how you may carry on such sim thoughts in your own head. STOP THAT. YOU don't have to be an asshole towards yourself like they are! FUCK THEM! Your mind is YOUR OWN!

CHANGE YOUR MIND. YOU CAN!
Free your mind, and the rest will follow.

OMFG - I just thought of *the best* work avoidance for you - not drinking, not drugs - go hang around the Self Help section of your Library - and read those books! Anyone questions - Oh, I was just putting this book away!

And all of these things - even the crappy experiences - do expand your mind. Hell, I think shopping at Walgreens expands the mind because I hate the place and I sure as shit would NOT want to work THERE! Which thus serves as inspiration - to carry on with the work I do have. Seems like Paradise in comparison.

Yeah, I'm rambling here, I'm tired.

TL/ DR - eat clean and get on regular schedule, and don't beat yourself up / become your own best friend - and you'll be on a good path with these smiling smiley
November 05, 2015
whiskysnob
Cambion, I've been through the wringer with thyroid issues and there actually is a condition that can oscillate from overactive (or normal) to underactive and back. I forget the name because I was dealing with Grave's, something else, but your thyroid doesn't have to be statically under- or overactive for there to be a problem.

TSH is actually a horrible measure for thyroid issues requiring treatment, but so many doctors still insist on using it as the ultimate yardstick. TSH is very slow to change and in fact often enough within normal range when there is a problem - and vice versa: abnormal when you're not experiencing a hint of a symptom (anymore).

Hashimoto's disease. My cousin has it; I just got regular underactive thyroid. And yes, TSH is a horrible indicator of any disorder.

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde
November 05, 2015
@ Zzelda:
I don't agree with using supplements (vitamins).
You should only use them when you have a proven deficiency of vitamins
(blood test).

My observation: I work only physically (household, gardening, renovation) but the physical work
does nothing for my body. I still have to exercise - only targeted toning exercises
have an impact on me. If I stopped exercising, I wouldn't be fat but I would be out of shape - flabby.
But I guess, everybody is different.
November 05, 2015
mrs. chinaski
@ Zzelda:
I don't agree with using supplements (vitamins).
You should only use them when you have a proven deficiency of vitamins
(blood test).

My observation: I work only physically (household, gardening, renovation) but the physical work
does nothing for my body. I still have to exercise - only targeted toning exercises
have an impact on me. If I stopped exercising, I wouldn't be fat but I would be out of shape - flabby.
But I guess, everybody is different.

Oh I don't mean taking vitamins *instead of* following a healthy diet and exercise - I mean *in addition to* healthy diet and exercise. And "regular" vitamins - nothing weird. And minerals. What country are you in? In the US these are often recommended and are 'standardized'. Most of them. Some of the more unusual things are not. But what I mean above is 'regular,plain old, Multi Vitamins + Minerals'. And don't go overboard either.

Yes and healthy diet and exercise as well. No need to go overboard with these things, either.

I have a desk job and have to exercise as well. I mostly just walk and *physical work* IS my additional exercise (I live in a house that's old and falling apart.) I too could probably use some targeted toning exercises, and do have some pockets of flab here and there - Eh, I don't care. grinning smiley

And - one step at a time.

Like I say - I'm now back to 'my usual size' - one (no two!) flabs that stuck around - MY CHEST GOT BIGGER!!! How bout DAT! grinning smiley
I fit back into my 36 B bras - however - the cups are too small. Fit just fine around / the band - but I'm going to have to move up to a C cup.

And - my New Boobs come with Schadenfreude! : I found this old "Frenemy" on FB who was always the type to *show off* her "Hawt Bod". She DID have a good body too - was the quintessential Butterface - really excellent bod, which is all she really had to flaunt, and flaunt it she did. Including tight shirts to show off 'medium range' boobs.

The Cow has since had 3 kids. And while she's still skinny - in the one pic I saw of her - which looks like it was taken at like a 'Company Party' and people are in 'evening wear' - she is wearing a silver 'tank top' type of thing - no bra - and - she's COMPLETELY FLAT CHESTED NOW!!!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

And CF Me is now a 36 C!
HA!

Looks good on my newly slim bod, too. WOW have I been getting men eyeing me!
(I did get my hair done, some new make up, and some new clothes too. Maybe it's the new hair style grinning smiley )

Cambion ~

I hope you don't think I'm lecturing you and Ima shut up with my Pep Talks. Trust - I don't say anything to others that I do not tell myself. Believe me - I gotta 'motivate' myself too.

Hang in there! (I often repeat this to myself, too)

smiling smiley
November 06, 2015
@ Zzelda: I am in Germany.
We had a family friend, a doc. She got cancer.
She told me she believed that it was caused by supplements.
She used to take supplements (regular vitamins) all the time.
She told me to avoid them.

I asked an another doc about supplements.
This doc told me the same - supplements only in case
of proven deficiency.

@ breasts: that's interesting. When you lose weight, normally the exact opposite happens. Lucky you :-)

@ Butterface: I find those kind of women sad. They only have one thing going for them - their looks.
But looks will fade over time. Those women usually don't accept the aging process. It is a very sad sight.
November 06, 2015
I'm with Zzelda. The farm industry has depleted most production areas, and while they do add fertilizers, I don't think they put much of any thought into what SHOULD be in the soil. N, P, K, they only care about those ratios for the growth of the plant.
Everyone drinking city water and well water with a softening system is not getting the magnesium we all used to get from water. I'm glad it doesn't come with giardia, don't get me wrong! But even the water ain't what it used to be.

So, I take around 15 supplements at night, depending on how I'm feeling and what I'm treating, and boy howdy do I notice the next day if I miss taking them. Supplementation has given me a lot of my life back. But thanks to a high ACE score, confirmed PTSD, blah, blah, I have fibro, so I need all the help I can get.
I do also get my levels checked because some of my supplements are fat soluble and you need to keep an eye on those ones.

But I think everyone could do with a B complex, a B12 sublingual lozenge, vitamin C, and an Epsom salts foot or whole body bath. If that is tolerated well, I would ease into a quality magnesium supplement, gradually working the dosage up until you begin to experience the laxative effect and then backing down 1-200mg from that amount.

Doctors are there to speak soothingly and shoo you out the door with as little cost to the insurance company as possible. If they CAN tell you it's all in your head they WILL. But hey, I'm an American speaking about our system over here. They want to get all the copays they can while investing the bare minimum in your treatment. If you have mild deficiencies that keep you coming back with vague complaints, that's the condition they want to keep you in.
"Looks like you're within acceptable tolerance levels, let's check again in six months."
November 06, 2015
Presto
Everyone drinking city water and well water with a softening system is not getting the magnesium we all used to get from water. I'm glad it doesn't come with giardia, don't get me wrong! But even the water ain't what it used to be.

Wonder if this explains the chocolate cravings? Hmmmm.
November 07, 2015
Presto
I'm with Zzelda. The farm industry has depleted most production areas, and while they do add fertilizers, I don't think they put much of any thought into what SHOULD be in the soil. N, P, K, they only care about those ratios for the growth of the plant.

As an organic gardener, this time of year is very special because falling leaves can be used in so many ways to improve the soil for free.

Five Ways to Use Autumn Leaves:
http://organicgardening.about.com/od/organicgardenmaintenance/a/autumnleaves.htm

One of my most common sayings about gardening is that I am mainly working towards building soil, then building plants and I get fruits/herbs/ vegetables/flowers if I am lucky.
Zzelda

I have had many serious health issues - I'm a walking disaster area, I'm accident prone and tend to pick up illnesses. Gotta fix it. I want to try to phrase this all in a way that does not come off as a 'lecture' but as 'positive encouragement'. You CAN 'fix yourself'! You DO have to engage in a healthy lifestyle - everyone does. There are no short cuts nor pills to fix it.

You sound like me lol.

I think Zzelda has given some excellent advice here. I cannot stress enough how important it is to look after yourself. Eat well and try to develop a healthy sleep routine, it's not a magic cure but it really does help.

I can't offer advice that hasn't been given already but I wanted to offer some support at least. I've been in your situation, for years I was stuck in jobs that I despised and it really does suck balls. All I can say is hang in there and work at getting yourself into a better position even if the future might look bleak. I've suffered from bad depression for many, many years and it makes being possitive and improving yourself really, really, really fucking hard. But I came to the realisation that the only person who can fix my life is me and that I have to own up it. So that's what I've been doing. Things still suck, my depression is as bad as it ever was but I have something to work for/look forward to and that is keeping me afloat, which is an improvement from 2 years ago.

Like you I detest exercise but I try to fit some in as it really does help with the mood. I find walking is a good compromise, especially if you can bring a friend or whoever along and make it into a social thing and therefore less tedious. The trick is to start small and build it up from there.

Sorry for the essay but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone and there are people out there rooting for you. Good luck and I honestly think a bit of venting here and there is not a bad thing.
November 13, 2015
Welp, no more worries about work because I got fired. I can't say I'm too heartbroken over it, but I fully intend to write a very long letter to the superintendent and/or the board of education about how the school didn't fully train me in spite of my requests for assistance.
November 13, 2015
Can they just fire you like that? What does your contract say? As a union member, they cannot just get rid of you without due process. I know you're not a teacher, but there is usually a process i place before termination.
November 14, 2015
I have no idea because I never got a copy of my contract to keep, and I don't know if they'd give me a copy of it after I've been fired. I still have my packet of union information that I need to look at to see if there are any loopholes, but I was told that while I could choose to fight the school for terminating my employment, there's about a 99 percent chance it would not work out in my favor because I haven't been employed with the district for long enough. Something like that, I was kind of in a daze the whole time they were talking to me because I was totally blindsided by being fired.

I'll talk more in detail in the other area of the site where I've been discussing my job. But hey, I don't have to deal with those library helpers who I fucking HATE anymore.
November 14, 2015
I am sorry.
November 14, 2015
Also, there really wasn't much in terms of due process for me. I was told a month and a half into the job that I was sucking at my job and that I should have figured out on my own how to do everything I was not trained to do. I wasn't offered suggestions on such things as reading materials (like district-approved class management plans), I wasn't offered verbal advice beyond "be firm (with the students," I was not given verbal warnings, I was not in any way given tools or advice to try and improve my performance when it became clear I was struggling with the job. I was given a single verbal warning, which amounted to "it's been a month and a half, you should have figured your job out by now." No other performance reviews or resources I could have used to learn how to improve. Nothing. A verbal ambush and termination is all I got.

I think "duhh-eeeee, yer not a good fit" is a piss-poor cop-out excuse for job termination. I think the reason is that these fuckstains didn't want to potentially have to give me an extra cent for training that I had asked for because I dared not come to work equipped with the skills they needed. Never mind the fact that they read my resume (at least I think they did) and they HIRED ME despite my complete lack of experience working with kids. So maybe I'm totally mistaken, but from what I can tell, they trained me on how to do half my job and then fired me when I tried to seek assistance in learning how to do the other half.

I was at one point scolded for asking too many questions. If shit happened that I didn't know how to handle, I would always ask the librarian about it because I wasn't sure what I did and did not have the authority to do and I didn't want to possibly get into trouble. My entire job was nothing but uncertainty, but I was expected to simply "be authoritative" and figure out what exactly that meant by the district's standards. Well, to me, it means slapping the asses of every single misbehaving child and telling them how useless they are. I wonder if that would have been authoritative enough.
November 14, 2015
I think that you were the new girl.
The others decided that they don't like you ->
proof: "I was at one point scolded for asking too many questions."
-> and ganged up on you.
They complained about you.
The management doesn't really care, they don't want to be bothered.
Without any investigation into the matter (you know, too much work),
the management decides to restore "the peace" at the workplace with the
management method First In First Out.
As you are the newest member of the workforce, you get pink slip.
November 14, 2015
Well maybe your mom will let you work somewhere else now, even retail. A lot of people are hiring for Christmas and if you worked at a fun environment where decent people would train you, it would be a good change.
November 14, 2015
I wouldn't have told your mother that you got canned and used the time that she thinks you are at work to find a different job. I know that is dishonest but crazy doesn't fight fair. And it would have given you time away from her.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login