Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to deal with child-centric job when you hate kids

Posted by Cambion 
Re: How to deal with child-centric job when you hate kids
November 14, 2015

I wouldn't have told your mother that you got canned and used the time that she thinks you are at work to find a different job. I know that is dishonest but crazy doesn't fight fair. And it would have given you time away from her.

I like the cut of your jib. Even a little quiet time in Starbucks would be better than hanging out with the Crazy.
November 14, 2015
Jesus fucking christ! I tell ya, it's the fault of the person who hired you and they gave you no opportunity to get additional guidance or training. Talk to the union; you paid your dues and you're entitled to their help.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
November 14, 2015
bell_flower

I wouldn't have told your mother that you got canned and used the time that she thinks you are at work to find a different job. I know that is dishonest but crazy doesn't fight fair. And it would have given you time away from her.

I like the cut of your jib. Even a little quiet time in Starbucks would be better than hanging out with the Crazy.

I was going to suggest this very thing...don't tell her you got fired, just leave the house at the usual time every morning and spend the day searching for another job. Run her on a need-to-know basis.

I'm not a fan of dishonesty, but I've used it in dealing with crazy people and had absolutely no qualms about it. It was self-preservation. I'd avoid certain topics, and if it came down to it I'd tell them what they wanted to hear and then quietly go do the opposite.

And there are temporary holiday jobs around. Retail, Christmas tree lots, stuff like that. Best of luck to you.
November 15, 2015
Sorry to hear you got sacked from your job, Cambion.

I agree with Randomcfchick:

Leave home at your usual time for work then spend that time to look for a job.

And of course avoid those positions where you would be working directly with children.

And when you get a new job tell your mom.

Good luck.
November 15, 2015
It's kinda too late since my loony mother already knows I got fired, but at the very least, she's on my side. I mean, I had to repeat myself about 20 times, but eventually it sunk in that I did my best at the job with the half-assed training I was given and that a good chunk of the problem lies with the goddamn district. Also, I don't think the union will do anything for me. The union rep said absolutely nothing while I was getting fired - she simply said she was legally required to be there, and the person who fired me (business administrator, I believe) told me that while I could appeal the decision, I'd basically have no chance of having it work out in my favor for whatever reason (I think because I didn't have seniority).

Even if I did have an appeal or grievance or what-not (I'm not familiar with all these employment terms) work out in my favor and, say, got the job back, would I really want it back? I imagine I'd get treated worse if I got fired and then fought to get re-hired.

Oh well, I may need a job, but I do not need THAT job. I'm still happy - I got money out of that shithole to be able to afford X-mess gifts for people this year. And while I don't know if it'll achieve a whole lot, everyone who can receive an angry letter will receive an angry letter. Superintendent, school board, labor board, union, etc.
November 16, 2015
one of the reasons I don't like unions. when there are real problems, they don't do a damn thing, especially teacher unions.
good luck cambion

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
November 17, 2015
I wonder if it would still be useful to put this job on my resume. On one hand, it won't look too good that I was only employed for three months (though I suppose I could just list the year and not the months). On the other hand, I learned a lot about library work that could maybe be useful. And I wonder what I could possibly say if a potential employer asked me why I was there for less than a year. That I wasn't properly trained?
November 17, 2015
"That I wasn't properly trained?"
-> No, you should never say anything negative about your
former employer even if it is true. It doesn't look good IMO.

Maybe you can say that there was a reduction in stuff
and that your job got cancelled ? -> can they verify it?
November 17, 2015
Cambion
I wonder if it would still be useful to put this job on my resume. On one hand, it won't look too good that I was only employed for three months (though I suppose I could just list the year and not the months). On the other hand, I learned a lot about library work that could maybe be useful. And I wonder what I could possibly say if a potential employer asked me why I was there for less than a year. That I wasn't properly trained?

Put just the year on your resume (that's how my resume looks: company and year as I do a lot of contract work) list your duties (what you were originally supposed to do, not what you wound up doing). You don't have to put anything down like "Babysat a bunch of unruly crotchmaggots" on the resume though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login