Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

thumbs up"Hurray I'm registered!"(use this thread to introduce yourself)

Posted by zeropop 
Re: thumbs upup"Hurray I'm registered!"thumbs upup(use this thread to introduce yourself)
September 01, 2012
This makes me wonder how many of us are onlies.

Only here! Hey all you love-your-solitude and won't-give-up-the-stereo-to-some-brainless-dipshit!
Snark Shark
swampshack
my home base is currently in Portland, OR

ME TOO! grinning smiley

Yay! I haven't spent too much time there. My husband bought a house in Hillsboro in December after landing a job with a company down there. I moved down from Seattle shortly after, lived there for about a month, and then took off for Miami. I'll be moving back to join him after I graduate in 4 months. I'm looking forward to exploring Portland and surrounding areas.

Miami is a cool city, not very family friendly (I rarely see small children in public out here)... but also not very people friendly in general. Hard place to live unless you're a trust fund baby. I'm definitely ready for a change of scenery.
Re: thumbs upup"Hurray I'm registered!"thumbs upup(use this thread to introduce yourself)
September 01, 2012
I agree with you,Swamp. Miami is a tough town. I am about 60 miles north and go there only for Dolphins games and the boat shows.

I could never live there.
Hello everyone!

Long time lurker but agree with all that's been said and more.

28 years old, 2 cats...a Russian blue and a Norwegian forest cat. Currently working on my Masters degree and working part time through school. Oldest of 3 siblings, single parent household. Raised in a military like household so I have some old world views of things that I can't shake.
September 01, 2012
Hi everybody! grinning smiley

toomanybrats
michaela
:1wv Count me, too!

Only child here!

me too! being only child ROCKS!
Hi everybody!
September 05, 2012
I've just recently registered and am basking in the glow of having found a bunch of like-minded folks! I am a 38-year-old child-free female. I work as a defense contractor in the D.C. area and enjoy cycling, yoga, movies, anything with alcohol in it, food, trying to follow politics, raging against religious zealots, and laying around on my ass and generally being able to sleep a full night, every night. I have a nice, much older boyfriend who unfortunately has an 18 year old autard and a charming 17 year old girl who is actually pretty cool. It hasn't become a problem with me yet, but I am praying my ass off that the autard never decides he wants to live with daddy.

I mostly have cool friends, even the ones with kids, but there are one or two that have driven me over the edge by telling me shit like "my uterus will crave children." I'm pretty much repelled by other people's children, so why would I want any of my own? The truth is, it never crossed my mind to have them. Total apathy. Anyway, I'm here to bitch about being bingoed about my child craving uterus and read the latest horror stories from the news blogs.

Cheers! :beer
Re: Hi everybody!
September 05, 2012
Ugh! Sorry guys, I'm a total idiot and thought I posted this in the introduction link.blushing
September 05, 2012
starbelly

\ "my uterus will crave children." Cheers! :beer

Ok, why am I picturing a Zombe uterus munching brains....

thom_c
starbelly

\ "my uterus will crave children." Cheers! :beer

Ok, why am I picturing a Zombe uterus munching brains....

You're not the only one. I pictured a giant uterus chasing children down the city streets.
September 05, 2012
But if the Uterus yearns for the children - why do not the bowels yearn for Taco Bell?

It is a question for The Ages.

Hey - you work for Gov? OK I am a Jew and I think I'm supposed to be running the world or something. At the least ~ I'm supposed to be in The Illuminati.

You fix w/Gov for mee pleez? Kthx. grinning smiley

Welcome and Cheers from me too smiling smiley

:beer
Anonymous User
September 05, 2012
Welcome Starbelly! grinning smiley
( I used to live in D.C. Ah, I miss Cleveland Park.)
September 09, 2012
starbelly
I've just recently registered and am basking in the glow of having found a bunch of like-minded folks! I am a 38-year-old child-free female. I work as a defense contractor in the D.C. area and enjoy cycling, yoga, movies, anything with alcohol in it, food, trying to follow politics, raging against religious zealots, and laying around on my ass and generally being able to sleep a full night, every night.

Hey, I'm CF and living around the D.C. area too! Just working crappy retail though while I go to school; nothing exciting like you do.

To everyone else - I'm the middle child amongst 4 total, so don't think that only onlies strive to be CF. Truth be told, it was nothing really that my parents did or my siblings did that made me CF; I actually hated what children did to people who used to be my acquaintances, or friends. (I'll tell you bluntly: none of it was ever good.) In addition, in a job where people hate it so much that they NEVER want to come in and work when there's a call-out, it really sucks to know that virtually all of the latenesses and call-outs that we DO have are invariably from lazy, irresponsible moos, and that since our job sucks and nobody wants to come in on their day off, that all of the unfortunate people who DID show up for work that day are forced to pick up the slack. spanking with a whip on the ass
September 09, 2012
lorelei_diangelo
To everyone else - I'm the middle child amongst 4 total, so don't think that only onlies strive to be CF. Truth be told, it was nothing really that my parents did or my siblings did that made me CF; I actually hated what children did to people who used to be my acquaintances, or friends. (I'll tell you bluntly: none of it was ever good.) In addition, in a job where people hate it so much that they NEVER want to come in and work when there's a call-out, it really sucks to know that virtually all of the latenesses and call-outs that we DO have are invariably from lazy, irresponsible moos, and that since our job sucks and nobody wants to come in on their day off, that all of the unfortunate people who DID show up for work that day are forced to pick up the slack. spanking with a whip on the ass

I don't know if anyone has ever done a study to look at whether more CF people are onlies, oldest, middle, youngest, or what, but I can't imagine why it would make a difference. You could equally well argue that onlies don't have much experience dealing with small kids, and so are more inclined to have incorrect perceptions of childhood. Or you could flip it around and say that people are onlies because their parents had CF leanings - which were inherited - but weren't able to act on them.

I believe it is a matter of natural inclination for many of us, and experience for the rest. Even if it could be demonstrated that a disproportionate number of CF are onlies it wouldn't show causation.
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a short time and have finally decided to join you guys. I'm a 16-year-old from New Jersey and while I'm not sure if I want kids, I'm terrified at where society is going. Our sense of true compassion, reason and responsibility is disappearing and this is one of the few places I know of where it's still there.
September 09, 2012
snapplet
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a short time and have finally decided to join you guys. I'm a 16-year-old from New Jersey and while I'm not sure if I want kids, I'm terrified at where society is going. Our sense of true compassion, reason and responsibility is disappearing and this is one of the few places I know of where it's still there.

This isn't a place for the unsure. Read my posts upstream, please.

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
michaela
This isn't a place for the unsure. Read my posts upstream, please.

Sorry.
September 09, 2012
snapplet
Hi everyone!

Try TCFL if you're unsure of your future plans. They have a mix of people and will be more understanding of fence-sitters.
yurble
Try TCFL if you're unsure of your future plans. They have a mix of people and will be more understanding of fence-sitters.

Thank you.
snapplet
Hi everyone!

Truth be told, if you're not horrified by our vitriol you're probably more than welcome to keep lurking here. :lips I don't think anybody is trying to "throw you out", so to speak, I just think that this is more of a hangout for %100 like minds (at least regarding the subject of children). Mostly because, as people pointed out upthread, there are a good number of sites out there already that cater to fencesitters (and some that even allow parents themselves to post...hopefully they're PNBs).

Just don't want you to think that you can't ever come back if you change your mind and decide to go completely child-free. Some of our older members and SOs of older members once had stepchildren or were fencesitters, after all. friendly hug
September 10, 2012
lorelei_diangelo
snapplet
Hi everyone!

Truth be told, if you're not horrified by our vitriol you're probably more than welcome to keep lurking here. :lips I don't think anybody is trying to "throw you out", so to speak, I just think that this is more of a hangout for %100 like minds (at least regarding the subject of children). Mostly because, as people pointed out upthread, there are a good number of sites out there already that cater to fencesitters (and some that even allow parents themselves to post...hopefully they're PNBs).

Just don't want you to think that you can't ever come back if you change your mind and decide to go completely child-free. Some of our older members and SOs of older members once had stepchildren or were fencesitters, after all. friendly hug

Of course we can't stop anyone from lurking here, and we can't stop even breeders from posting provided they don't reveal themselves as such. If you want to snark on breeders without any attempts at being diplomatic or polite, this is a good board for it. But if you want to discuss being a fencesitter, share your angst, or start any sentence with some variation of the words "As a fencesitter," you can expect little interest, no sympathy, and possibly a ban.

So it does depend on what you're looking for.
September 10, 2012
Snark Shark
yurble
You could equally well argue that onlies don't have much experience dealing with small kids, and so are more inclined to have incorrect perceptions of childhood.

I wasn't around them much as a kyd- but when i was, I couldn't STAND the little cunts! any kyd more than a couple years younger than me was a BRAT, as far as I was concerned!

Note that I was just expressing a theory someone could have, not one I subscribe to!

I found kids my own age pretty damn annoying as well - I was one of those kids who gravitated toward adults.
September 10, 2012
yurble

I don't know if anyone has ever done a study to look at whether more CF people are onlies, oldest, middle, youngest, or what, but I can't imagine why it would make a difference. You could equally well argue that onlies don't have much experience dealing with small kids, and so are more inclined to have incorrect perceptions of childhood. Or you could flip it around and say that people are onlies because their parents had CF leanings - which were inherited - but weren't able to act on them.

I believe it is a matter of natural inclination for many of us, and experience for the rest. Even if it could be demonstrated that a disproportionate number of CF are onlies it wouldn't show causation.

interesting. should we conduct a little survey to provide more data for analysis? smiling smiley
I am siding with you on no causation between birth order and CF tendency.
I often wonder if I had biased perception of parenthood and raising children, but then why do I view parenthood as unappealing (as opposed to joyful) from my biased perception?

what I grasp is introversion/extroversion plays more roles in determining a person's CF inclination.
No need to worry about me talking about fence sitting, I can tell this is more for breeder hate/snark/etc, which is what I'd rather do.
September 10, 2012
snapplet
No need to worry about me talking about fence sitting, I can tell this is more for breeder hate/snark/etc, which is what I'd rather do.
Well, I say welcome.
September 10, 2012
juklinwaro
snapplet
Well, I say welcome.
:

Yep. You seem all right.
smiling smiley

----------
michaela

"A child will make two dishes at an entertainment for friends, and when the family dines alone, the fore or hind quarter will make a reasonable dish, and seasoned with a little pepper or salt, will be very good boiled on the fourth day, especially in winter." -Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login